April 11, 2010 at 2:51 pm #97271
Position Title: Senior Public Outreach/Strategic Communications Advisor
Place of Assignment: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Period of Appointment: Three (3) months, with a possible three-month extension subject to satisfactory performance and funding
Objective: The Senior Public Outreach/Strategic Communications Advisor shall provide advisory services to the Government of Haiti (GOH). The Advisor shall provide assistance to the GOH on the crafting of Government strategic communications strategy, and assist implementation of public outreach activities that both raise the public profile of the GOH among the population and disseminate critical information on relief and recovery activities to the Haitian people. The Advisor will help the GOH organize outreach activities hosted at its emergency media relations center, and develop information products for distribution to local and international media outlets. The Advisor will, over the course of the assignment, transfer strategic communications management and public outreach skills to GOH communications personnel who will eventually assume management of all public outreach activities.
Specific Duties Performed by the Senior Public Outreach/Strategic Communications Advisor:
- Assist the GOH in developing an emergency response public outreach strategy
- Assist in the implementation of an outreach strategy within Haiti, including organization of materials and activities that publicize GOH relief and recovery response activities.
- Train GOH personnel on effective media relations and interaction with journalists
- Help GOH ministries provide accurate and timely responses to requests for information
- Develop systems to monitor, analyze and report on implementation of GOH public outreach activities
- Train GOH officials to draft press releases, media advisories and other strategic communications materials.
- Develop GOH outreach tools and activities that promote GOH policies and initiatives including creation of printed materials, organization of public meetings, hosting of media events, etc.
- Assist GOH develop partnerships among the GOH Ministries, International Organizations, diplomatic missions, international and local media outlets, CSOs and other Haitian stakeholder groups
- Train GOH communications personnel to perform all the duties listed above
Experience and Skills Required:
- Familiarity with communications approaches, tools and methodologies for planning, executing, and monitoring public outreach strategies – including campaign management, social marketing, outreach tactics,
message targeting, stakeholder analysis, etc.
- Fluency in French and English required, Creole language skills preferred
- Experience in design and delivery of dissemination strategies
- Experience in organizing public information product dissemination, including distribution of government documents
- Proven experience in training of government public outreach personnel, including one-on-one coaching experience, and preparation of training materials
- Strong computer skills; proven expertise in Microsoft Office applications (MSWord, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Experience in Haiti or in countries undergoing post-disaster or post-conflict contexts similar to those prevailing in Haiti preferred
- Experience with the Government of Haiti preferred
- Knowledge of social, political and development issues facing Haiti preferred
Minimum Education / Experience Required:
- University Degree (BA/BS) in Communications, International or Public Affairs (MA/MS degree preferred)
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant work experience, including training of government public outreach personnel
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to [email protected]
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.