Separate Communities of Practice? or sub-groups on GovLoop?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Separate Communities of Practice? or sub-groups on GovLoop?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Arthur 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Bob King
    Participant

Last summer (July 2008), the U.S. Army Computer Network Operations-Electronic Warfare Proponent (USACEWP) created a Ning-based site CyberCognitor. The stated purpose: A Cyber Community of Practice engaged in defining the cyber-electronic environment & implications for society, government and the military.

Dilemma – Should we invest time and energy trying to grow that site and use it? or would that effort be better spent creating a Cyber Community of Practice here on GovLoop?

Currently CyberCognitor sits at 52 members. I believe there were 18 members when I joined a month ago, I sent out a mass invite and doubled the membership within a matter of days. However, that was before I knew about GovLoop.

Any thoughts? Are there others here that face similar choices, choosing between a small (separate) narrowly focused government social networking site or using GovLoop?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

Yes as a matter of fact, we are in that process right now. I would be interested in talking with you in more detail over this.

CDC/NCHPI has started a Community of Practice Program. Please visit our two sites- http://www.cdc.gov/phin/communities/
    http://www.cdc.gov/phinconference

I am helping lead the deployment of a collaboration platform…or just use GovLoop. We are leaning towards using the Ning platform and having it customized by our developers for more specific use. We want our CoPs to be able to exchange documents and do revisions on them with permission settings. I know you can use a plugin for some of that, made for the Open Social networks, but we are looking for something a bit stronger- like Campfire or something like that.

Drop me a line if you are interested in talking further. 🙂

Bob King
    Participant

Adam – Thanks for the offer of assistance and links to your CoP program. I’ll definitely be following up on this.

Bob

Don Jacobson
    Participant

Bob – Building online communities is notoriously difficult. I have seen countless efforts to start online communities for government employees wither away because they never quite reached critical mass. Creating an online community takes a very specific skill set, one that I don’t have but Steve Ressler most definitely does.

One of the great strengths of GovLoop is that it really seems to have reached the critical mass required to keeps a lot of interesting discussions going on. The discussions cover a lot of different topics, whether it’s Web 2.0, creativity, collaboration, HR stuff, or whatever. We as members can shape the conversation and add new ones according to our interests. In my case, I have tried to bring some discussion of leadership development issues to the group. I think this site has tremendous potential. It’s just a question of where we as members want to take it. Another advantage GovLoop has over a niche site is that your colleagues might come here for discussions of the cyber-electroinc environment, but then also find other topics of interest to them that keep them coming back to the site.

That’s just my two cents anyway.

Don

Darlington Mgbeke
    Participant

Hello Don,

I will retire from the Navy in less than six months, what are the requirements getting a government or embassy job?

Thank you.

Darlington

Adam Arthur
    Participant

You’re welcome, sir. I am starting a “Communities of Practive Collective” group, (our team is working on the content as we speak). Bob, would you be interested in contributing in the moderation? I think you would be perfect in keeping this discussion going and expanding on it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.