Service to America: Who Is The Most Inspirational Public Figure to You?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Service to America: Who Is The Most Inspirational Public Figure to You?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Tonight, the Partnership for Public serivce holds the The Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medals (Sammies) awards program. It pays tribute to America’s dedicated federal workforce, highlighting those who have made significant contributions to our country. It is truly an honor to recognize these individuals for their dedicated and innovative work and service to America.

Today, as we recognize these individuals, let us reflect on those public servants who have been most inspirational to you. It could be either someone historical or someone with whom you work. Who is it for you?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Wordle we did on it when people are asked question on GovLoop….this is from summer 09

Franklin Delano Roosevelt…I still marvel at how he navigated our nation through those turbulent years while contending with substantial and taxing personal issues.

Peter G. Tuttle
    Participant

There is a pretty large list looking back 200+ years, but George C. Marshall is pretty inspiring as a dedicated public servant of recent history. John J. Pershing is another; so was Pres. Eisenhower, etc. Oh, where to stop…..

Christina Morrison
    Participant

Reagan all the way baby!!! We could use some Reaganism today.

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

Although not a “public servant” in a traditional sense, Susan B. Anthony and Sojourner Truth have both been an inspiration to me in their fight for women’s suffrage and the latter for her abolitionist work as well during the Civil War. If not for women like them, and many others, I don’t know that I would be where I am today. They stood up for what they believed in, argued against an injustice they felt was being done and although they did not live to see their work come to fruition…women won the right to vote.
    I feel the same about Martin Luther King, Jr…he may not have been a “public servant” in the traditional sense…but he served the American people in everything he did and every word he spoke. He also inspires me greatly.

Great insights Jenyfer. You don’t have to be a federal employee to have the impact that those historic figures had.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.