Should Contractors Have a Pay Freeze?

Home Forums Acquisitions Should Contractors Have a Pay Freeze?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 6 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Should Contractors Have a Pay Freeze?

Following President Obama’s recent proposal for a two-year pay freeze for all civilian federal workers, U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced a pay freeze for Department of Energy contractor employees.

Article – http://www.fedsmith.com/article/2670/department-energy-announces-it

Henry Brown
    Participant

I think they should try! And when all the congressional budget bashers started to scream “oh that is different” let them explain to their bosses ( the electorate ) how it is different

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

We could realize enormous savings if agencies, specifically the DoD, stop making improper incentive payments to contractors who have not earned them. That would save an estimated $500M. That’s not walking around money! Don’t get me started on Medicare…

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Pay freeze or not, I was mostly unaware that agencies had direct control over what organizations and how they pay the contractors. Obviously the money comes from the agencies, but is it common for agencies to add in contracts how the primes distribute their funds?

Noel Dickover
    Participant

In reply to Elliot whether the USG has control over how contractors dispurse their funds, the answer in most cases is, “Yes, most definitely.” In cost plus contracts, there is actually a percentage amount for pay increases over the life of the award. This is usually the case for Time and Materials as well. However, this is not the case in Firm Fixed Price contracts. The govt is usually not supposed to know the innards of the cost structure for FFP.

Regardless, for contracts in place, there is no method for the USG to go back and retrofit a “do not give salary increases” clause. Unless I’m sorely mistaken, I really don’t see this as a possibility.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me Noel! I assumed that there wasn’t much alteration that could be done with contracts in place, aside from advisement.

No workers would “freeze to work”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.