Should Government Be Running These Projects?

Home Forums Program and Project Management Should Government Be Running These Projects?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jo Youngblood 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

Are you part of a government project?

Could it be done better by private industry?

Why or why not?

Jo Youngblood
    Participant

well that depends.. my husband and I have this argument all the time. He’s an MSA and I’m an MPSA. So what’s the difference in our degrees? I was taught to maximize utility and he was taught to maximize profit.

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

Sounds like a heated argument – does he agree with your assessment? 🙂

Some make the argument that in many cases, solutions found in a free market system of competition maximize utility better than a monopolistic approach when a government agency or department has no competition.

Jo Youngblood
    Participant

I have found that it depends on what you interpret as utility. I will use charitable giving as an example. Yes, through private donations those that have resources can assist those that do not. However you get into odd situations like in rural areas where there isn’t anyone that has resources. In inner city Chicago you can find someone to assist you, but in rural Alabama good luck. Free market system only works when there is enough interest to create a market in the first place. So to me, the justification for government is when there is need to create utility and there is no free market that would exist where such need is found. And government should only remain there while such conditions are in place. So if rural Alabama grows up, or a wealthy do gooder enters the scene, then perhaps the purpose of government needs to be re-evaluated. But that goes against human nature to conquer and preserve.

Dale M. Posthumus
    Participant

Jo, I agree with your second comment, but not your first. I don’t believe there is a lot of difference in your degrees. From the business viewpoint, how do you maximize profit? By providing customers with what they want, which servces to increase their utility. Yes, there are companies who are crooks, just as their are people in the public sector who are crooks. But, for long-term profit, a company must satisfy the people who are buying what the company offers, or they won’t buy. The public sector has its own form of “profit”, which is simply to do as much as possible with what you have, while also arguing with higher management for a bigger budget. Your second comment is what I see as the role of government, to do those things for the common good where the market breaksdown and the non-profit sector is insufficient to meet the need. However, the role of government in such situations may not necessarily to provide the service, but to encourage a market to provide.

Jo Youngblood
    Participant

You would be a welcomed guest at my house (at least by my standards!) 🙂

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

I tend to agree – it’s these ‘tragedy of the commons’ scenarios where you aren’t going to find a solution naturally occurring.

However, should government employees and agencies actually be providing these services? Or would an RFP and competitive bidding for contractors help bring the element of competition in? Government oversight and direction on goals and objectives, contractors executing and getting paid (or not) based on performance.

Thoughts?

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

Agree Dale!

Jo Youngblood
    Participant

I like competitive bid processes.

Hey Josh – Here are a couple previous conversations that are related:

https://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/contracting-out-or-outsourcing-in-house-functions-doing-it-right

https://www.govloop.com/forum/topics/privating-gov-t-services-makes-sense

I think this is going to continue to be a debate that has no easy answer.

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

I think you’ve definitely hit on the truth about this being an ongoing debate for sure.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.