Should Gov’t Employees Get Exceptions?

Home Forums Human Resources Should Gov’t Employees Get Exceptions?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Sperry 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas

Just got this message in my inbox and wanted to know what other people thought about it:

“Governors of 35 states have already filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (¾ of the 50)
    States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress.
    Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with
    the same pay after only one term, that they didn’t pay into Social
    Security, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the
    laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of
    prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live
    under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the
    Healthcare Reform that is being considered…in all of its forms.
    Somehow, that doesn’t seem logical. We do not have an elite that is
    above the law. I truly don’t care if they are Democrat, Republican,
    Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop. This is a good way
    to do that. It is an idea whose time has come.
    Have each person
    contact a minimum of Twenty people on their Address list, in turn ask
    each of those to do likewise.
    In three days, most people in The
    United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal
    that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution

shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States
    that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives;
    and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or
    Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the
    United States .”

You are one of my 20.”

Obviously this is about health care which I’m neither here nor there on but that last part about the amendment does make a little sense to me.

So my question is as far as laws go should we make any exceptions for any type of government employee?

Peter Sperry

This chain email is full of so many errors it is difficult to know where to begin.

First. Members of Congress are covered by FERS and have paid social Security since 1985. The vest reteirment after 5 years of service just like any other federal employee. They pay into the FERS retirment program. Their formula is 1.7% x years of service for the first 20 + 1% for all other years x top 3. Slightly better than executive branch employees but the same as GAO, Library of Congress and non elected Leg branch employees. Oh, and all leg branch employees pay a larger amount into FERS to make up for the extra .7%.

Second — Their health care plan is FEHLP, just like any other federal employee.

Third — They are NOT exempt from any criminal laws applicable to anyone else (just ask those who have been “guests” of the federal government), and the exemption from federal labor laws was repealed in 1995 as part of the Contract With America.

Congress has its problems and few members are saints but it would help if people venting venom in that direction took the time to actually learn the facts.

Stephen Peteritas

yeah I have no idea what the right or wrong answer is here, I really just wanted to see others opinions on a piece of chain mail that showed up in my inbox. Thanks Harlan and Peter. Would love to hear from more.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.