Should You Send a Photo of Yourself Before a Phone Interview?

Home Forums Careers Should You Send a Photo of Yourself Before a Phone Interview?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Patrick Fiorenza
    Participant

I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that he received some advice about an upcoming phone interview. Someone recommended that he should send the interviewer a professional photo of himself. Has anyone ever done this or considered sending a photo? I’ve had phone interviews and the idea of sending a photo never crossed my mind.

I’m not sure what the right move is. I can see two sides here, first, you are sending your interviewer a face, so it’s a more personal conversation than just a phone call. Secondly, your photo should have 0% impact on your application and ability to get hired.

Maybe this comes down to personal comfort? I don’t think I would be comfortable sending one, because frankly, it doesn’t seem necessary. Also, with so many cheap video chat options available, maybe phone interviews will be a thing of the past soon.

What do you think? Should he send a photo to the interviewer?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Couple thoughts on it:

-There’s a real legal issue in terms of photos as there’s an issue of discrimination. Personally as an employer, I’d worry a little if asking for photos opens up a huge can of worms.

-If he/she wants to have a photo, I’d include it in the resume as part of it. I’ve seen that before.

-For this one, where a phone interview is upcoming, I’d say skip it. Seems weird. If the idea is to make it feel personally, maybe include a link to his linkedin profile in an email message and make sure there’s a photo there. I bet people click on it

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I wouldn’t just send a photo but possibly direct them to a place where they could find one, like a LinkedIn profile. Also I’ve seen resumes with photos as well. Either two of those options seem less creepy then just sending an e-mail saying “just thought you should know what I look like” with this attached:

Allison Primack
    Participant

When I posted this as a poll on GovLoop’s Facebook, most responded with “Why not, they probably already have it from LinkedIn or Facebook”.

While I don’t have a problem with sending in a picture, I agree it is odd to request it at this stage in the interview. When I applied for scholarships for graduate school they requested pictures with my resume (like Steve mentioned), which did not seem weird at the time. But asking for it after the fact is a little surprising.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.