Six things about deadlines

Home Forums Miscellaneous Six things about deadlines

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 8 years ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

From Seth Godin’s blog:

1. People don’t like deadlines.
    2. Deadlines work.
    3. Deadlines make people do dumb things.
    4. Deadlines give you the opportunity to beat the rush.
    5. When we set ourselves a deadline, we’re incredibly lax about sticking to it.
    6. They have a lousy name.

Anything else that could stand out about deadlines?

Henry Brown
    Participant

I would add

7. Deadlines usually work much better if they are widely known (embarrassment factor)
    8. Team Deadlines need to be discussed and agreed to by ALL team members

Bill Brantley
    Participant

8. IT “soft” deadlines are deadlines like “fat-free” ice cream is ice cream.

Kevin Elliott
    Participant

Deadlines only work if there are consequences attached to them; otherwise they are suggestions.

Kriste
    Participant

The converse of #5 is the project management adage that work has a way of filling the time you give it.

Perhaps a candidate for #12 is “Not all deadlines are created equal.” Some are a lot more important than others. Cry wolf too often and watch what happens to your flock.

Fascinating topic, Henry. I would add that deadlines should be reasonable. And, if it’s a long-term or complicated project, there should be checkpoints along the way so that progress can be evaluated and tasks can be added or re-assigned if necessary. Breaking larger projects into smaller components is helpful for all involved. I like what Kriste said, and I’ll add… if you have too many deadlines without prioritizing them, you may find that employees simply disregard deadlines altogether.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.