social media and disaster recovery communications

Home Forums Budgeting social media and disaster recovery communications

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Poirier 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Sandy Evans Levine
    Participant

Have you checked out the new AOL Government site? Hope you’ll find the following article of interest…let me know what you think…

http://gov.aol.com/2011/07/20/whats-your-social-media-plan-if-disaster-strikes/

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Oh this IS interesting: Aol as a content provider is starting to intrigue me, but hey, it appears to be working for them..(not so much HUFFPO..but in general…though I digress..)
    The article doesn’t really provide us anything new, we all know that social media is reaching new audiences and more of some rather than others. It also reminds us that when considering our communication plans, especially our emergency communications plans, that we all should consider integrating into social media communications during those times of need. (In other words, keep up with communications technology and update plans as needed.) However, it doesn’t really provide much insight into the actual issue: Will social media be available during an emergency?

In a lot of cases, sure it will, however just as many situations will remove electrical power (Kinda needed..), cell phone service, etc. Is social media a great tool to get information out to a lot of people quickly? Yup, but its not the end-all solution, just another communications tool in the bag. That being said, I highly support its use by government and business for this purpose, just with the warning that it cannot be your ONLY solution.

Interesting article, but off target for its intended headline and audience.

Sandy Evans Levine
    Participant

I absolutely agree that social media is another communications tool in the bag – and it can be an important one, particularly in a crisis, so the value here is a reminder to ensure it’s part of your disaster recovery communications plan. I’ve been amazed how many organizations haven’t included it as part of their standard operating procedure. And yes, it cannot be the only solution. Very good point about will it be available in an emergency, and of course that depends on the specific emergency. That’s why we want to consider all communication channels, and strategically choose to use those that are most relevant to the specific audience and situation. Thanks for your comments!

Chris Poirier
    Participant

Nailed it! 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.