Social Media Filters?

Home Forums Technology Social Media Filters?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nancy Heltman 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Syd
    Participant

I am trying to determine which State governments have filters in place for social media. In particular can all employees get to the common social media venues or only authorized employees? If you work for a State Government it would be useful if you could reply with your State and either open/limited/blocked for the following venues like below. Thanks!

Delaware

Twitter: open

Flickr: open

Facebook: limited

YouTube: limited

Nancy Heltman
    Participant

All channels are open statewide in Virginia but individual agencies might be blocking although I have not heard about it.

Abigail Wischnia
    Participant

Arizona, City of Phoenix

Twitter: Blocked for all City employees except our department’s PIO

Flickr: Don’t have an account

Facebook: Blocked for all City employees except our department’s PIO

YouTube: Don’t have an account

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’m curious as well if people know their filters – are people using similar technology – I think most use Barracuda for web filtering.

Justin Kerr-Stevens
    Participant

This came up in the UK a while ago. Steph Gray ran a survey in the UK. Really interesting results: http://www.helpfultechnology.com/helpful-blog/2009/01/update-who-blocks/

Maybe we could do something similar? Make an interesting white paper!

Erica Bakota
    Participant

I am also curious about filtering at the federal level. Are all federal agencies blocked from Facebook, or are the policies agency specific? Here are the stats for USDA ARS:

Twitter: open

Flickr: don’t have an account

Facebook: blocked

YouTube: limited

Kelly Anderson
    Participant

Erica,

CMS (the Federal agency that administers Medicare, Medicaid, Children’s health insurance, and the new health insurance provisions under health reform in HHS) has the same level of access, though we do in fact have a Flickr account–though none of us can get to it at work. LinkedIn is also blocked. (All GovLoop goodies have to be digested at home and printed out or copied and pasted for work.)

A very small handful of people in our main communications office can upload YouTube, LinkedIn, and Twitter content. Our YouTube access is limited only to the CMS and HHS Department channels. I completely get the need for a streamlined, centralized process for speaking on the Agency’s behalf about social media, but if I have a partner or colleague in another agency that needs me to see/access social media content, it will have to wait for the nighttime. I know others in HHS and non-HHS agencies that have more access, and a few in very small agencies who have no access at all.

So frustrating! I have much love and respect for the issues our IT bretheren must deal with to keep our systems safe and secure, but most of them (not just in my Agency) say that they don’t know what I’m talking about when I mention the Executive Order about open gov and the WH push to make social media available as a citizen engagement tool. Seems as though our IT friends need the same political green light that we communicators have been given to help them navigate the concerns they have about social media access.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.