Social media is there a bubble forming?

Home Forums Technology Social media is there a bubble forming?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  J. Ellen Crown 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Now that social media is main stream and increasingly become a part of normal daily work. oDoesanyone see a bubble forming?

It was neat when only the cool people were on but now between your family bugging you about not calling and ads showing up in friends feeds is a pull back coming? Plus the new fear a future employer running a social media background check on you.

J. Ellen Crown
    Participant

No bubble. More like a permeable membrane.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

Not so sure bubble is the right metaphor, but it’s definitely following what Gartner calls the Hype Cycle, and right now we’re riding up the slope of enlightenment — the point where the mainstream adopts social media.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

I would say we are just cresting the peak of inflated expectations.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

I definitely do think you could make that argument. My rationale for slope of enlightenment is that everyone is now beginning to realize the “power” of social media and adopting in hordes.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I think so, in a sense. I believe people are becoming a little overwhelmed. While certainly not the case for everybody, some people are definitely being turned off to social media. I don’t think there’s going to be be any big exodus from social media but I do believe it is going to plateau and decline a little bit then steady out.

+1, Corey. Too much going on. I think folks are asking: which one do I join and where do I spend my energy?

Jay Johnson
    Participant

To quote Edward Tufte – “There is no such thing as information overload, only poor information design.” I think that applies to social media too. Remember why you use social media in the first place and make it work for you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.