SOD

Home Forums Miscellaneous SOD

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

Can relate to this big time!

from Pougue’s NY Times blog:

Spec Obsession Disorder: The Incurable Techie Malady

I smacked my forehead. This kind of thinking drives me batty. Who on earth cares what processor is inside — as long as the phone feels fast? And this one feels fast. Very, very fast.

As far as I’m concerned, for the customer, it shouldn’t matter if the phone has a Snapdragon, a dual core or a hamster wheel. All that matters is how fast the phone winds up.

Among the tech cognoscenti, this is a typical symptom of Spec Obsession Disorder (SOD). You see it all the time.

Back in the day, PC makers used to market their computers by promoting the megahertz rating of the chip inside. Remember that? “Powered by a 2.4-gigaherz Pentium 4,” as though that’s all you needed to know about the computer’s power. The clock speed of a chip was only one tiny factor of many that determined the PC’s speed—and not even the most important factor. The amount of memory, the hard drive speed and size, the bus speed—all of these things determined a PC’s power.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.