Steve Jobs: You Brought Technology to the Human Experience. You Will Never be Forgotten.

Home Forums Technology Steve Jobs: You Brought Technology to the Human Experience. You Will Never be Forgotten.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Albetski 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Just heard the crushing news that Steve Jobs passed away. The world has lost a visionary, and legend. May he rest in peace. Here is my all-time favorite quote… What is your favorite quote? How did he inspire you?

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.
 Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs

Ed Albetski
    Participant

Thank you, Lauren. I was hoping someone would post this. Steve Jobs was a visionary who really did make the world a better place.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

My mind was blown when ABC broke in for the special report last night. Over the last few years I’ve completely bought in and drank the Apple kool-aid. Their products for much of Jobs life span were simply better if not cooler than anything else in the market.

On a side note, while Jobs had already left Apple a month or so ago I wonder what this means for the mobile computing and tech industry as a whole. As cynical as it is does this mean blood in the water as far as other competitors are concerned? And will we look back in 5 to 10 years and see Jobs’ death as a turning point in the industry? Just some things that hit my mind…

Lida Verner
    Participant

Don’t know who tweeted this but:
    Three apples changed the world: Adam & Eve’s, Isaac Newton’s and Steve Jobs’

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Who ever did tweet that touche! They nailed it in about a few words as possible.

Stephen F Murphy
    Participant

Lennon+Jobs=Imagine. He did, we can.

Allison Primack
    Participant

My favorite quote was the following:

‎”Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Also, if you’re interested in checking out one of his speeches, here is the link to what he said at Stanford’s graduation in 2005. Pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UF8uR6Z6KLc

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

I watched Steve’s Stanford commencement speech this morning. Very powerful. Talked about living each day as if it were your last.

I drove past the Georgetown Apple store this morning to see flowers, candles, and a 1st generation Macintosh computer with a green apple on top. It was pretty moving.

What strikes me as the most remarkable attribute of Steve Jobs is his ability to steady himself and focus himself in a time of personal turmoil. The two obvious examples are:

1) When he was fired from Apple, rather than sulk, he productively kept seeking creative outlets. This was the time period when he founded NeXT and bought Pixar. I don’t know about you, but I loved the animated flicks coming out of Pixar in that time period…and who can argue with the success of Toy Story? Of course, it’s amazing that he returned to Apple – he could have been bitter and refused to resurrect the company after being treated so unfairly, but he did…

2) When he found out he had cancer, he became more creative and innovative than ever. It’s likely that he had cancer during the time when he was standing up iTunes (some say he knew in late 2003) and, of course, after his diagnosis that he unveiled the iPhone and iPad. I have to believe there is more of his vision that we will learn in the months ahead as Apple releases new products that were but a Jobs sketch that some brilliant designer/developer felt inspired to make a reality.

Lida Verner
    Participant

I love that speech. It is something I watch on a regular basis to keep the motivation going.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

So well put Andy. And the fact that he lived for 7 years with pancreatic cancer … one of the toughest ones to beat is absolutely incredible…that might be the biggest feat he ever made.

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. Steve Jobs

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

Steve jobs changed my life. My first computer was an Apple II and I’ve been inspired ever since. I worked all summer out of highschool to save money for my first personal investment into the tech world, the iPod. That iPod has long since died and I keep it framed in a shadow box to remind me of what I can accomplish if I work hard.

I don’t have pictures of my loved ones or pets on my work desk because they make me want to be at home. I do however have this quote:

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be satisfied is to do great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” – Steve Jobs

I love what I do and I thank Steve Jobs and Apple for that.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Another great quote:

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards.

So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.

You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.

This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”

– Steve Jobs

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Here’s the Here’s to the Crazy Ones video (original) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAB83Z1ydE&feature=player_embedded

AJ Malik
    Participant

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Love this. Thanks AJ.

Terri Jones
    Participant

Relentless vision, clarity of mind, a sense of seeing a path despite all of the events swirling around him…thanks for the post. I really love how he made technology usable, and crucially, that he thought the user experience mattered enough to hold out for it!!

When thinking of Steve Job’s legacy, I am reminded of the following favorite quote:

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

– Arthur Schopenhauer

Thank you for your vision. Thank you for inspirational tools. May you rest in peace.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.