Succession Planning

Home Forums Leadership and Management Succession Planning

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Franken 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Thom Campbell
    Participant

I’m working with a group in my office to develop an effective succession plan for our agency. As part of this effort, we’re seeking to benchmark other agencies that have done good succession planning. Does anyone have any good thoughts, tools, recommendations (specifically of other agencies we could benchmark) that they’d be willing to share?

Also, as we’ve gotten further into this effort, I’m starting to wonder about effective strategies to use with agency leadership to get their buy-in for this effort.

Thoughts?

Peter Franken
    Participant

Hi Thom, I work for Ark Group USA, we have hosted four Succession Planning Conferences over the past year and are NOW putting together our most up to date for September 30, 2010 in Arlington, VA. Give me your email address and I will email you a past program agenda with speakers, I believe what we’re doing is right up your alley.

[email protected]

Janelle Callahan
    Participant

My organization, the Partnership for Public Service, is currently doing research on succession planning for the federal human resources (HR) workforce with our partner Booz Allen Hamilton. Much like our onboarding report, we will present current practices, recommendations for improvement, and tools agencies can use. Although we are focusing on the HR workforce, we are very interested in developing a framework for succession planning that could be applied to other mission critical occupations in the federal government. We expect to release our report in November 2010.
    If you are interested in learning more, or if you have any thoughts about how we can make this most useful to federal agencies and the HR profession, please contact me.

Thom Campbell
    Participant

Janelle, thanks for responding and letting me know what the Partnership is doing. I’d be very interested in learning more about where you are in the process.

It seems the Partnership is involved in this issue area in a number of ways. In fact, the group I’m working with is a Results Group that’s part of the Excellence in Government Fellows program through the Partnership.

Janelle Callahan
    Participant

Thom, I didn’t realize that you are part of the EIG Results Group working on succession planning. Yes, let’s talk!

I recently completed my dissertation research on succession planning at executive branch federal agencies. Below is a link which includes a preview copy with the abstract.

Link: http://search.proquest.com/docview/1039554834/abstract

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.