May 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm #100473
Steve ResslerKeymasterMay 13, 2010 —
The Sunlight Foundation is looking for an aggressive go-getter/news junkie*
to join our Communications team, to help us spread Sunlight’s message
of open government and build on the successes we’ve had this year.
We’re in a position where we get an average of 7-10 mainstream media/A-list
blog hits per day (as many as 25-30 on big days). So, we need someone
who can proactively push Sunlight’s spokespersons, articles,
visualizations, resources, etc. all the time.
Is this you?
- You’ve written and successfully pitched press releases, op-eds and editorials.
- You have a minimum of three to five years of experience working with reporters and/or bloggers.
- You have excellent writing, editing and verbal communications skills.
- You are experienced in organizing outreach campaigns – preferably in a fast-paced advocacy and politically-oriented setting.
- You are passionate about opening up public access to the federal government and creating more transparency in Washington, D.C.
- You’re a kick-ass pitch person who is ridiculously driven to make government
transparency and accountability an issue the media can’t avoid talking
- You want more than anything to see Sunlight’s work and spokespeople cited by the mainstream press and in
blogs like Talking Points Memo, Boing Boing and Instapundit.
- You are well-networked in media and politics and would join Sunlight with a respected reputation.
- You’re not technophobic. You don’t have to be a database hack (we have those on staff already), but you’re familiar with basic HTML, WordPress, Microsoft Office and Google docs.
- You get a rush when you see your work linked to or quoted.
- You know the lingo of bloggers.
- You know how to make a story idea work for CNN producers.
- You might not be a policy wonk, but you know your way around the alphabet soup of acronyms like GAO, CRS, FCC, LOC (more?) – as well as the legislative process.
- You are well-organized and self-motivated. Bonus points if you can also laugh at your own mistakes.
Sunlight is a great place to work with generous benefits, but more than that –
we are on the cutting edge of policy, technology and communications. We
are a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to a great cause of creating
more accountability in government, and our work has support across the
political spectrum. This is not an entry-level position, and salary is
commensurate with experience. Your cachet after working at Sunlight
will be unrivaled: This job is a great opportunity to build your own
notoriety in the non-profit, political and technology sectors.
*Officially, the job title we’re hiring for is Communications Manager.
How to Apply
The position is open until filled. Please send a resume and statement of
interest to Operations Coordinator Hafeezah Abdullah at
[email protected]. Principles only. No phone calls.
Candidates will be informed by email. EEO.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.