Synonyms for Government 2.0 and Civic Engagement?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Synonyms for Government 2.0 and Civic Engagement?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Justin Mosebach 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ari Herzog

Hi, I’m seeking your suggested synonyms for two different terms: government 2.0 and civic engagement.

Each synonym should be a layman’s word that Joe Citizen clearly understands, and ideally a single word, the less letters the better.

Thoughts?

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

“civic engagement” = “democracy” or “involvement”

Ari, “government 2.0” calls to mind “government online”. I’m with Justin on the next one: “civic engagement” is really “participatory democracy” or “participatory government”.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

In Canada they use the word “service delivery”

Ari Herzog

An involved democracy, sure; but civic engagement is not democracy. The two are not interchangeable.

No single word?

Ari Herzog

In your mind, democracy = government?

Justin Mosebach
    Participant

What about “involvement”?

Clearly, democracy is not the same as government. I was trying to strike at the “civic” part of your term. I would venture to say that in governments where the citizenry has little to no involvement, they also do not care to “engage” the public.

Daniel Bevarly
    Participant

One word synonyms: e-Government and Activism

Ari Herzog

Whether or not something occurs doesn’t mean it can’t. Hence, your argument if citizens aren’t involved doesn’t mean people don’t want it to happen.

Ari Herzog

But if you tell me you are an activist, that’s as broad as saying you’re a man.

Ari Herzog

Then what do Canadians call the act of delivering a mattress from wholesaler to customer?

Daniel Bevarly
    Participant

Ari, you are so silly. I guess if you wanted to say, they are both nouns, I would not argue with you. However, man is a state of being, an existence. Activist is a state of doing, a proponent or practitioner.

Today, an activist is equated with participation in political causes or in issues having to do with public policy. Similarly, e-Government or Government 2.0 is equated with the delivery of government services or the processes of governance in an online environment. But you know all that.

Not saying I hit your bulls-eye, just stating if you are seeking a one word synonym for two word titles, you’re going to have to accept broader interpretations for those words, IMO. Let us know when you find it (them). Dan

Justin Herman
    Participant

Government 2.0 is more aptly referred to as “Government.”

Civic Engagement is “citizenship.”

That is of course unless gimmickry turns you on.

Daniel Bevarly
    Participant

I like “Citizenship.”

Tim Bonnemann
    Participant

What exactly do you mean by civic engagement? The term is used in many different ways and can mean anything from volunteering to protesting to public participation etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.