Talk to Me: Formats for Performance Reviews?

Home Forums Budgeting Talk to Me: Formats for Performance Reviews?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JohnnyZero 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Melanie M. Keller
    Participant

I have been a manager for over 10 years, but I am always looking for FRESH and new formats and styles to conduct performance reviews! What do you do? I’ve been at my Agency since December, and I’m getting ready to conduct mid-year performance reviews. So, I want to hear what you LIKE, or what works best for you for your performance reviews. I like for these to be engaging and my favorite is when the employee does most of the talking! đŸ™‚ I’m a really big on continuous feedback, so my performance reviews are in the “no surprises here” category.

Let me hear it? What works for you?I

JohnnyZero
    Participant

This is my first year of giving reviews at the County law library. I have decided that if a staff member is still around at the end of the year, I want them there. My thinking: it is up to the supervisor to provide performance corrections and input at the time it happens. By the end of the year it is unfair and unwise to heap a laundry list of errors on an employee. I believe in morale building, so each review has been accomplished with a self-evaluation and then a meeting discussing where we are heading in the year to come and that staff member’s role in it. AND how lucky we are to have that person. We have instituted a team-based culture that employees team member critiques — so other team members are assessing the weight each person is pulling. It is effective.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Melanie, our department (IT – municipal government) has just completed its first official use of a process / evaluation form built on SharePoint. The evaluations on it are based on and tied to our High Performance Organization objectives adopted by the city. The evaluation begins with the employee doing a self-evaluation using a 4-point scale for each task with a block for explaining their accomplishments or needs for improvement. Then their supervisor reviews that and either agrees with the evaluation or adjusts it with explanation of their adjustments. They review the evaluation together and then it is submitted to the department manager.

So far I have not heard of any real discontent with it and right now with the economic situation, their is no tie-in to merit raises, so it is not of any great value other than for consideration for promotion or termination.

Carol Davison
    Participant

As someone who has implemented performance management systems for 16 years, this is what I recommend:

1. If you are bold, have your employees draft their performance appraisal for you. You are safe in doing so because statistically employees are harder on themselves than their supervisor would be. The State of Maryland’s (a performance excellence organization) 12,000 member Department of Health and Mental Hygiene manages its employees this way. or

2. Email your employees to email their accomplishments and their impact on the organization to you. (Yes they lead the new employee orientation but did the briefings improve? Did their impact? Are course evaluations now given? Did the evaluations improve? Or did you employee sit there like a lump?

3. Schedule an appointment at which your employees discus their accomplishments and their impact with you. (some of us writer better than we speak, and vice versa. Some of us read better than we listen and vice versa. This gives employees and supervisors the best opportunity to communicate.

4. Only then draft the appraisal for your supervisor’s consideration.

5. Obtain supervisory approval on the appropriate form and only then schedule an appointment to present the appraisal and award if any to your employees.

6. Discuss next year’s goals and have the employee draft their performance plan for you.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Also seen something similar with software SuccessFactors where drives goals down from agency to team to individual and then you rank related to that.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I like the performance reviews that are basically in this format

-How do you (employee) think you did so far this year? What did well? Areas for improvement?

-Manager – here’s my take on what did well? areas for improvement?

-What skills do we want to work on in next 6 months/1 year? How are we going to get you there – what classes, experiences, etc?

Melanie M. Keller
    Participant

Sam – this sounds really neat! In essence, this is what I try to do, allbeit sans the technology. I’m glad to hear that it’s going well so far. Currently we have a pay for performance model, and I’m not sure how well that is actually working.

Melanie M. Keller
    Participant

Carol – thanks for sharing. I really like what you’ve outlined, and use it for the most part. I couldn’t agree more with your point on results/impact-based accomplishments. They are so key!

Anita Arile
    Participant

Sounds nice, I would like to see a sample of this format.

Anonymous

Melanie:

I require my employees to self-report on their accomplishments every two weeks. Bullets are fine but they have to give me sufficient detail so that I know what they did. They know I will use this material in their appraisals. I compile all of input for each and attach it, as submitted, to their individual appraisals. I then write my assessment of their performance according to their critical elements. It’s pretty simple but it certainly saves time on the back end of the process. This system nearly eliminates debates as to what was done or not done during the rating period.

Susan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.