Telework Options Still Growing

Home Forums Technology Telework Options Still Growing

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David B. Grinberg 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Christina Morrison
    Participant

According to a new Staples survey, 93% of those surveyed say that telework programs are beneficial. What are the reasons you’e an advocate? http://owl.li/jU6zt

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Why telework? My Top 10 reasons:

1) work-life balance (who can’t use more of it?).

2) major cost savings (“hoteling” & less office space, cheaper building leases).

3) less pollution (do we really need more environmental degradation?).

4) explosion of digital/mobile technology (get with the 21st century digital age).

5) no physical commute = extra hours to work (what boss does not want you to work more?).

6) empower employees to be more productive (rather than just “punching the clock”).

7) greater employee accountability.

8) increased trust = increased morale.

9) more latitude = more loyalty.

10) you can run, but you can’t hide from the future workplace (the future is now!).

DBG

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I’m 100% with David’s list. A few years ago, I came up with 101 reasons why I like telework, but since then I have added a few more. People who don’t telework (mostly traditionalists) still don’t get it, but we teleworkers (current hip terminology is “remote workers”) get that telework frees our time and energies that are normally wasted on our commute (can you believe that 80% of people still drive to work?). With modern technology, the old notion of meetings, travel, and even work itself is being reinvented. If you are still using paper, still like to have “face-to-face” meetings, and still manage by wandering around, you are part of the problem.

Jennifer Sardam
    Participant

I only wish I had the option to telework, even if for only a day or two a week. I can easily see the benefits.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Jennifer – Why aren’t you allowed to telework? Is it because of the nature of your work (e.g. Park Ranger) or because management does not allow it? If it is the prior, there is not much that can be done. If the later, this will change. Keep pressing and present the business case. Eventually, reason will prevail.

Jennifer Sardam
    Participant

Jennifer Sardam
    Participant

Our department does not have a policy for it, unfortunately. I am also (not making excuses, but…) in my third trimester of pregnancy, and it’s getting to be really tough commuting in and getting a seat on the Metro, dealing with the heat, etc., when I know I could be just as productive – if not more – were the option available. Wish this were an option.

Jennifer Sardam
    Participant

Even 1-2 days/week would be a godsend. I’d say 90-something percent of my work could be done from home quite easily. But, it is up to the powers that be. It takes more than one employee’s wishes to make something like that happen.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.