Telework Policies: Resistance From Above

Home Forums Budgeting Telework Policies: Resistance From Above

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

GovExec.com has recently published another of four perspectives on telework in the federal government that will appear in their Sept. 1 issue of Government Executive Magazine. This latest post discusses how managerial suspicion or productivity hinders managers from embracing telework policy.

What I believe to be evident is that many managers who cannot physically see their staff automatically assume that work is not being done. Further, the lack of accountability is also an inherent weakness in overall government performance, as managers in the article claim that they cannot assign metrics to telework productivity.

Really? Is the work getting done on time or not? Is it of sufficient quality? I find that sentiment to be outrageous and poor management/leadership. What telework policies do you have? Is it successful?
    What about managerial buy-in?

Kudos, Jaime, for getting a GovExec mention!

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

Now if we can just get some dialogue going...

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

As someone that assume the worst I would say you hit the nail on the head as to why people would be opposed to telework. Not saying it's right or wrong but as a pessimist I agree with your point of thinking the worst is telework's biggest hurdle.

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

The resistance seems to be focusing on issues that are either workable, or red herrings. Have not seen to much legitimacy to arguments that it is a bad thing.

I really don't understand how anyone can say that accountability is any less possible with employees who telework. Assign the same goals, metrics, responsibilities, etc. that you would to someone sitting in the cubicle next to you or down the hall.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.