The Bottleneck to Hiring Reform

Home Forums Human Resources The Bottleneck to Hiring Reform

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Al Fullbright 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Doris Tirone
    Participant

According to a recent article in GovExec, Federal managers are “celebrating progress” to launch a new resume-based governmentwide hiring system…(more).

I don’t know about you, but I’m not “celebrating”. Hiring reform is a good idea only in theory but when it’s put in the hands of the very people who created this mess, I predict that all hiring reform will create more mayhem than improvements!

What’s really broken isn’t the process; it’s the bottleneck that keeps us knee-deep in the chaos. And, if you’re an HR staffer, please don’t take offense because, I’m not talking about you. I’m referring to the staffers who only know how do things one way, the only way they’ve done things for the scores of years they’ve filled their Federal seat cushions. You may know one of them so I’m sure you get my drift.

It would be nice if the Feds could find an equivalent version of DC’s Public Schools Chancellor, Michelle Rhee. Now there’s a woman who has the lady-cojones to clean house and get things moving in the right direction again! Her methods may not be popular but I am reminded that neither her work nor ours is a popularity contest, is it? Our work is about serving the public, improving what’s broken, and creating a future for our progeny.

Al Fullbright
    Participant

Education is fowled up in this country. The Ivy Leagues are supposed to be the gurus, but for the average guy they are overpriced snobs. We need a much stronger State University system that is affordable.

We also need to start building this country up. All of the great civilizations had great public works projects. Those had plenty of entry level positions. Those jobs fund large substructures of other trades, industry and employment. They also produce a monument of infrastructure that can be used for generations.

Doris Tirone
    Participant

The education system wasn’t the premise here, Al. But you make a good point.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.