The Coming Social Networking Crash

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service The Coming Social Networking Crash

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Daniel Callahan 5 years ago.

• Author

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Personally, I am tired of buying a product and having it beg me to like it on FaceBook, tweet about it on Twitter, and create a Pinterest board devoted to it. Just because I ordered a pizza online doesn't mean I want to tell all my online friends (and I really don't want to hear about their pizza orders either).

How will government communicators survive the coming social networking crash?

Daniel Callahan
    Participant

I think the only real answer is to not put all your eggs in one basket. If your entire communications strategy is social media, you're going to have trouble if/when people stop using those network and you are no longer able to reach them. I would argue for a broad-based approach to communications: Sometimes a single phone call can be 100 times more effective than 10 tweets at getting information across to stakeholders. Similarly, the opposite can be true. Making to to hit on both the new digital tools, but not forgetting about the "analogue" methods is the only way to avoid getting caught without a forward-aimed strategy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.