The Edge Party and “Power of Pull” Book Launch

Home Forums Miscellaneous The Edge Party and “Power of Pull” Book Launch

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

From Bill Eggers,
    author of “If We Can Put
    a Man on the Moon”
    and Global Director
    for Deloitte Research –
    Public Sector:

Dear Friend,

First of all, thank you again for coming to my book launch last November. Since the launch we’ve given more than 75 speeches on the book in 5 countries, published 12 opeds on it, including in the WaPost and received dozens of favorable reviews.

Second, I wanted to invite you to the DC launch this Friday of a very exciting new book.

John Hagel and John Seely Brown, co-chairmen of Deloitte’s Center for the Edge, would like to cordially invite you to “The Edge Party”. They are celebrating the premiere of their new book, The Power of Pull. This is a great opportunity to meet and have discussions with the authors of the book and a really interesting group of people who live and work on ‘the edge”.

We hope to see you there. Feel free to bring your friends.

WHEN: Friday, June 4, 2010

TIME: 9 pm – 12 am

RSVP: Please reserve by visiting http://www.edgeperspectives.com

ABOUT THE BOOK

THE POWER OF PULL: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion examines the deep forces reshaping our world – moving well beyond the rise of Google and pull media world. Drawing on stories and examples from around the world, the book looks at how pull can be more systematically used to shape serendipity. Harnessing the power of pull can also bring us together in new ways to drive more rapid performance improvement and provide powerful platforms to more fully achieve our potential. The books also offers a pragmatic migration path to aid us in getting from where we are today to where we need to be in a world of pull.

The book has already generated significant interest, including endorsements from Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, diverse corporate leaders and prominent “edgerati” who are exploring the frontiers of higher levels of pull. Available online at amazon.com and in stores.

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Scott, I agree totally. JSB and John Hagel also provide language for what some of us have been doing on our own time for the past few years, which may lend momentum to the renewal that’s needed in government. It has been very interesting watching their thought evolve (there are a couple of free white papers about “pull” floating around on the Web, if anybody interested).

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night and went to this for a couple of hours. L2 Lounge, and its cousin Leopold, share the same kitchen and are down Cady’s Alley – if anyone is ever in Georgetown and wants to try them out, they are between the Georgetown Park mall and the Key Bridge.

Was really pleased to have some time to talk with John Hagel. He’s a thoughtful man. Even when he’s traveling, he tries to write daily from 4-7 a.m. – now, that’s discipline. Here are a few more nuggets for everyone’s consideration, because Scott Hielen has it right; this is very useful.

Pull: “The ability to draw out people and resources as needed to address opportunities and challenges.

Some characteristics of pull:
    – collaboration
    – flexibility
    – bottom-up initiatives
    flows of knowledge

Some characteristics of push:
    – centralized control
    – conformity
    – top-down directives
    stocks of knowledge

John Hagel and John Seely Brown would be the first to tell you that this is not an either/or situation; it’s a both/and. It’s situational. The point is, if we don’t figure out how to bring pull characteristics into our organizations, we will fail to maximize value, the innovators will leave, and we may even fail to adapt enough to survive.

The easy availability of social media tools and other technologies has created an explosion of new work options. One of the things John Hagel is concerned about – and I have heard the same concern expressed by Judy Estrin, Dick O’Neill, and Tim O’Reilly – is that the country needs more innovation that’s grounded in math and science competencies, not just social competencies. Again, it’s not an either/or.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.