The Fish Bowl?

Home Forums Miscellaneous The Fish Bowl?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Attia Nasar

At the OpenGov Community Summit I was at yesterday we participated in something called the “Fish Bowl.” I’ve never heard of that before, but basically everyone sits in a circle and there are 4-5 chairs in the center. If anyone wants to say anything you can sit in the middle and say what you would like. This is an interesting way of conducting a discussion. Instead of having a panel facing an audience, the audience faces each other and becomes the panel. What are some other ways you think are great for facilitating discussions? This might even be useful in a classroom.

I’ve never done this before, but it would be interesting to have everyone put blindfolds on. You are still in person, but it forces you to focus on listening (vs. watching body language and other cues).

Another thing I saw recently was to work through a brainstorming session by having people walk around the room while writing their thoughts – walking backward, hopping, walking in a straight line, etc. – gets a person to break out of normalcy and stale thinking by shaking up physical activity typically associated with thought process.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.