The GovLoop Tag Cloud

Home Forums Miscellaneous The GovLoop Tag Cloud

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Allgood 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Sam Allgood
    Participant

So what do you think about the recently added tag cloud in GovLoop? There are some pluses for it, but there are a few things I don’t particularly care for:

1) With it appearing under the text for a group, I would expect the tags to be about content within that group … not so.

2) I would also have expected, especially with the big and bold tags, that the links would take me to a list of content with those tags instead of directly to a specific blog.

Your opinions/comments?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Also, what happened to the tag cloud on the main page? I thought that was where I first saw it.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Just discovered that when I try to edit the tag code within my group text area (just removing the ‘/forum’ in the link after the group name) and save it, no tags appear, and when I re-edit it, the script code is gone.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Sam –

Would love your take.

The way we are set up “tags” are not native to our tech backend (Ning) so use a third-party to build the tag clouds. It pulls from tags in blogs and discussions (generally and within a group) so some of it is related to group (discussions in group).

So they are useful in some ways but not exact how ideally I’d like them. Plus since leveraging a 3rd-party they are a little slow.

I took it off the main page as was slowing things down.

Still debating usefuleness…Thoughts?

-Steve

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I noticed the slowness within the group context also. They can be useful and interesting to see what is being discussed the most, but they become a lot less useful when, as noted in 2) in my original post, the link goes to an individual post rather than a list of posts with that tag.

Another big issue, apparently with the editor used within Ning, is making a minor change as noted in my 2nd follow-up comment, can hose up html within a field significantly. I have seen this in other areas where we can enter text (such as in the side bar on the right side of my home page), html within the text areas gets easily messed up by the editor … I have learned to save what I want locally so that if I want to add something, I can use that an re-copy it to the text widget.

I see the tag cloud as a ‘nifty’ tool, but not of critical value.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Thanks for feedback…

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Steve, in my original post, I had a comment about tag clouds having been automatically added to my groups, but then checked and saw that it was not in all the groups, so I removed the comment. I assumed that I had added the code myself and didn’t remember doing it. I still don’t remember doing it and don’t know where I would have gotten the code from.

Just wanted to check … did someone add the tag cloud object code to the text area of groups?

Also, I’m going to try to do a little searching to see if I might find a site that does it better and more quickly.

I haven’t even noticed this. Where do I find this so-called “tag cloud”, Sam?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

It was in our Christians in Government group, but I have removed it because when you edit the text box, it corrupts it. Here’s a link to a group that has it … https://www.govloop.com/group/socialnetworkingleadershipandinnovationintheapplie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.