The Mobile Workplace

Home Forums Technology The Mobile Workplace

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

IMO very informative infographic from the IBM Mobility Team

Break Out of the Box

There was a time when “9 to 5” meant being tethered to a desktop in a 4 x 4 cubicle.

But mobile technology has broken down the office walls. Invigorated by the mass adoption of smartphones and tablets, individuals have become used to accessing information and sharing ideas on the move.

Henry Brown
    Participant

From Internet Evolution:
    You can’t throw a rock these days without hitting a new smartphone or tablet device.

Last week, it was the iPhone 5 and the new Kindle Fire HD. Tomorrow, HTC is expected to introduce some new mobile products.

And Apple still has yet to introduce the Apple “mini” iPad, currently expected in October.

The move to mobile computing raises some intriguing questions about the nature of work. What is it? Where does it take place?

As someone who’s worked their entire career at IBM, I can certainly attest to the idea that here, increasingly, work is not a place you go, but what you do.

I’ve spent nearly nine full years working from my home, and several of those years, spent at least a week a month living (and working) in airplanes.

As the IBM “Services for the Mobile Enterprise” team recently observed, the new workplace is now undeniably a mobile enterprise.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.