The New GovLoop.com! Put Your Feedback Here

Home Forums Community Announcements & Events New GovLoop.com – Your Feedback The New GovLoop.com! Put Your Feedback Here

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 36 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 3 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Catherine Andrews
    Participant

Hey GovLoop readers! Welcome to the new GovLoop.com. We hope you’re enjoying the new site as much as we are. We love the new look, new functionalities, and new content. That said, as with any relaunch, we realize there may be bugs, errors or concerns that you may have about the new site. This is your place to tell us about them. Use this forum for feedback you’d like to share with our team, and we’ll work to address it!

Thanks,
    Catherine Andrews
    GovLoop Director of Content

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hey it’s Steve…would love to hear feedback of any kind from
    -bugs, something not working
    -things that seem confusing
    -questions about a new feature
    -ideas to improve both big and small

Henry Brown
    Participant

Not sure that I understand the process in the groups: Can members of the group post new comments? and if so how?
    Thanks

Jeff Ribeira
      Participant

Hey there Henry! Groups actually still function almost exactly the same as on our previous platform. The comment wall is still the main form of in-group communication and once you are a member of a group, you should be able to see it there on the main group page. I’ll see if I can find a group you’re a part of and add an example.

If you want to start discussion threads, you can add those by clicking on “Forum” there on the left hand side of the groups main page. You can post/discuss more granularly there, much like we’re doing here! Any other questions, just let us know!

Henry Brown
    Participant

Does the new format mean that I have lost the several dozen “emails” from my profile?

Jeff Ribeira
      Participant

Can you expound on this a bit more Henry? Are you referring to private messages or something else? I’ll definitely look into it for you though!

Suzy Christophersen
    Participant

Looking good! Much cleaner design.

One pet peeve – the username field is either too short or the text is too large. Lots of scrolling for those of us with long email addresses 😛 It allows 19 characters and my username is 34.

Jeff Ribeira
      Participant

Thanks Susan! Glad you’re enjoying it so far. I’ll see what we can do regarding the username fields.

Tim Nolan
    Participant

I’m impressed with the responsive design.

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Thanks, Tim! Jeff Ribeira and Steve Ressler led the redesign on the GovLoop side, with the work of the excellent firm http://10up.com/. We’re thrilled!

Tim Nolan
        Participant

I’m noticing the word-wrap is a bit quirky. I’m sure it’s a simple adjustment to fix.

Jeff Ribeira
          Participant

Mind helping me get to the bottom of this issue Tim? Where exactly are you seeing the wonky word wrapping? Thanks!

Lorrie Andrew-Spear
            Participant

So, words are not properly wrapping anywhere for me. For example in Jeff’s response just above, at the end of the first line are the first three letters of wrapping “wra” and the rest of the word (pping) is on the next line (no hyphen). At the top of this page asking for feedback, on one line is “Feedba” and the “ck” is on the next line. I am probably running a few versions of operating system/Windows versions behind on my state computer, but is there some way to get it to be backwards compatible? I’m sure it looks lovely on Chrome…

Lorrie Andrew-Spear
            Participant

Yikes! The time on my comment listed 8:29 p.m. — and it is 4:30 p.m. (eastern time)…I’m going back to the future!

Jeff Ribeira
            Participant

Thanks for the intel Lorrie! We’ll have a fix here soon.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

I have lost about a months worth of postings and I had to reset my password that I had since I joined Govloop. Since I’m running the Govloop NFL pool, losing the first week’s picks and results isn’t THAT big a deal, but it is disconcerting. I also don’t see my list of groups i belong to on the left side of my home page. I used this as an index to comment in the various groups. I imagine I have to go somewhere else for this list now? Hmm. I don’t see where my life has been made easier by this… 🙂

Jeff Ribeira
      Participant

Hi Ed! So to be fair, we never said it would make your life easier, just (in true GovLoop terminology) more “awesome” 🙂 There will be more details to come regarding all that has changed (either by necessity or design) throughout the week, but in the meantime I think I can help you out with the items you mention. I’ll break it down below:

1. Lost months of posting – while we did have a few casualties in the migration (i.e. “Awesomes”) content should not have been one of them. Is there a specific piece of content you’re noticing is missing? If something is indeed missing and it existed as part of our data archives we can potentially track it down for you.

2. In regards to your profile, can you either email or private message me a screen shot of what you’re seeing? The groups that you are a part of are indeed there on the left hand side of your profile. Clicking on the “Groups” link will bring up a list of all the groups that you are, and were on the old GovLoop, a part of. Additionally, I think you will find your life actually does become easier, specifically with the use cases you cited regarding monitoring group activity, with 2 other new profile features. First, if you click on “Forums” link, you will see at a glance all of the forum threads of which you are a part (including groups and the GovLoop NFL pool). Pretty cool. Didn’t exist before. Secondly, if you click on “Activity” you’ll see a bunch of tabs of which “Groups” is one. This lists all of your personal activity on all groups including comments and replies to your postings there. Also pretty cool I think.

I really hope that helps Ed! Know you’ve been a long time member and contributor to GovLoop and we love seeing your contributions to the community. If you have trouble with anything above please feel free to email me directly at jeff at govloop dot com, send me a private message here on GL or give us a call at (202) 407-7421. Always happy to walk through in more detail. Thanks!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hey Ed – 1st thing you rock. You are a GovLoop superstar and always appreciate your awesomeness.

Good news
    -Finding your list of groups – go to your profile in top right, on your left click groups and it’ll show your list of groups
    -You can also go directly to groups and then hit my groups – https://www.govloop.com/groups/

Does that work for ya?

Ed Albetski
    Participant

Jeff & Steve, thanks so much! What happened to all my friends? I used to have quite a few… 🙂 I have three now that I just accepted.
    I know with rolling out a new platform stuff is frozen when you take your snapshot or begin the process. Anything posted in that time frame may get lost in the cracks. I blathered a bit in TRAVEL about a cross country train trip and an Alaska cruise and I had the results of the first week of the NFL Pool up in THE BREAK ROOM. I’ll repost it. Nothing critical.
    Nice job with the new look. As with any new interface, we just have to start using it. Thanks for the quick response and kind words.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I am seriously confused. I have absolutely no idea how to find what’s new. I don’t know where anything is. I’m not complaining. I just need a guide with pictures and arrows that say “Here’s where you’ll find what used to be in that other place.” I was able to find this, but that’s about it.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Mark Hammer.

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Hi Mark! I’ll be posting a blog post later today reintroducing the community to some of GovLoop’s features and content – but in the meantime, can you tell me specifically what you might be looking for that you now are having difficulty finding? We will do our best to point you in the right directions!

Polly Brantner
    Participant

The site is ok, though the softness of the font color, for me, is difficult to read. And it appears that the paragraphs are not set to wrap from line-to-line correctly. Meaning, in someone else’s comment, they wrote, “Anything posted in that time frame…” and the word “anything” appears with “anyt” on one line and “hing” on another line. It’s very difficult to read!!

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Thanks for your comment, Polly! We’ve noticed the word wrap issue as well and are working fast to resolve it. Let us know if anything else pops up for you!

Karen Munze
    Participant

I know I had at least one friend; but lost her in the transistion and had to try to ask her to be my friend again. It was hard to find her. If I had more, I can’t find a way to figure out who they were.
    I’d like a way to filter searches in the member section so I can look for people I might know in real life or people in my geographic area, or my field?
    I am seeing the word wrap issue everywhere.
    Thanks to whoever saw my post about the swag. I did get an email saying I was eligible.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Karen Munze.

Steve Ressler
      Keymaster

Thanks Karen. Yes that’s one thing we did lose in transition was your past friends. But the positive look is you can make new ones!

Good ideas on member search – right now mainly search box. But will improve.

Glad swag is coming your way!

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Thanks for your speedy reply and help, Catherine. I have absolutely no idea how to find out what discussions are current/active. I used to be able to just go to the Discussions page and there they’d be, in order of recency. Presently, what I see is a big blob of Group Forum topics, in no particular chronological order, and the list of discussion topics below seems to start at least 2 years ago.

Is this where I eventually will find what I’m used to, once the new look catches up with history? If so, I’m happy to wait. I may just be looking for something that isn’t there yet.

Jeff Ribeira
      Participant

Hey Mark. Just wanted to say thanks for letting us know your concerns! I’ll be the first to admit that the switch from our old discussion tool to this current setup is probably one of our more significant functional changes to the site and particularly affects users like yourself who have been longtime (and much appreciated!) voices in the community.

But have no fear! As Catherine mentioned, we’ll be rolling out much more detailed guides for navigating the new site here very shortly. I think you’ll find some of the new functionality and options within forums and profiles in particular, very helpful!

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Kudos on the new site, however, I have one major issue to identify: what happened to the “My Blog” feature? I’ve written over 100 blog posts for GovLoop and need a link to them. The link to “My Blog” allows me to share my blog on other social media sites, which gives more exposure to GovLoop. The “My Blog” feature is one that is very much needed in my opinion. Otherwise, how do we — and others — access an individual member’s blog posts in chron order like before? I can’t stand the thought of all that featured member blog content disappearing into thin air? Thanks for considering this.

Steve Ressler
      Keymaster

Hey David – that’s a good one. It hasn’t disappeared and all definitely still there and tied to your profile as author. So creating a link to my blog shouldn’t be too tough – adding to our dev queue (might take couple weeks) – keep up the awesome posts!

Catherine Andrews
    Participant

Hey folks – you all may be interested in this post we just put up, explaining some of the features and sections. Continue giving us feedback – we really appreciate it and are finding it super helpful!

Meaghan Hakala
    Participant

Hello! I am really enjoying GovLoop, one question-is there any way to search for GovLoop members by location? i.e. I would like to search for members that are in Annapolis so I can invite them to a networking group I started. Thank you!

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Hi Meaghan! Thanks so much for the kind words. Unfortunately you cannot yet search members by location, but we are including that feature in a v2 upgrade to come in the next month or two. We will keep you posted!

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Whoops, Meaghan, I was incorrect – our senior interactive designer just informed me you can search for members by location, though currently it’s not super intuitive. One way is if you click the city/state/whatever in your own profile and filter by that. Or just search on the members page (put in Annapolis or your zip code in the search bar) — but then you have to set the dropdown to “alphabetical” to get the correct listings.

Making this easier to use will definitely be part of v2!

Juana Williams
    Participant

Hello! It looks like you have corrected the word wrapping issue. Makes reading much easier! I miss the “awesome” icon at the bottom of blogs we can click when we like what we’ve read. Could we get that back? Sometimes I want to say I liked something, but don’t really want to add something in the comment section. You mentioned that the next update will include easier access to find others; will you be filtering by state/local? Or by individual states?
    Thank you!

Catherine Andrews
      Participant

Hi Juana! Actually, one way to find other members by location is if you click the city/state/whatever in your own profile and filter by that. Or just search on the members page (put in your city or your zip code in the search bar) — but then you have to set the dropdown to “alphabetical” to get the correct listings. Let us know if that works for you. If ‘awesomes’ do come back we will let you know!

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

I really, really dislike the big stock art images at the top of the articles. I have to scroll down to see articles.

I realize this was a design choice, but since Govloop is not Tumblr, I would prefer to see actual content instead of stock photography.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hey Kevin – thanks for the note.

Yep – it’s a design decision (and something you see more sites with articles going with larger photos – places like mic.com) – but appreciate the response as you aren’t the first person to say this since we’ve redesigned so something we may tweak.

So keep the ideas coming & thanks for GovLooping

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.