The term “Social Media” a turnoff?

Home Forums Miscellaneous The term “Social Media” a turnoff?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Sperry 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Ellen McCarthy
    Participant

Is the term “Social Media” a turnoff or misunderstood in your agency?

Peter Sperry
    Participant

Personally I find most buzzword terms to be a mild turn off. Social Media, New Media, Awesome, connected, age of the internet, gov 2.0, web 2.0 etc, etc, etc.

First, they tend to repeat themselves. Second, most of these are tools not objectives. Yes, mechanics, carpenters, and architects can all wax rhapsodic over their respective tools but they all sound a little strange when they do. Ultimately, the discussion should come back to cars, furniture, houses and for most of us; developing and implementing effective pubic policies.

Ellen McCarthy
    Participant

Good feedback

Peter Sperry
    Participant

correction, it should be “public” policies. I need to work on that proofreading thing.

Darrel W. Cole
    Participant

What an excellent topic. As I propose the use of social media to clients I often am curious if the folks who are hearing the pitch, i.e. the selection panel, are getting it or are in tune to what the larger agency is involved in from public outreach perspective. Those selecting may be completely unaware if it’s happening within the agency and worse yet have no connection to the PR/Communications folks working at the agency. I often struggle with how to describe social media use. Most times I have it as another tool to reach the public. I’ve considered calling it Social Networking with the Public, or on-line/Web based public engagement tools. Love to get feedback in this regard.

Darrel W. Cole
    Participant

Sadly, I think the folks who need to help us figure out how to better pitch this topic to their agency are likely not going to be following this stream of discussion.

Ellen McCarthy
    Participant

I am hopeful that the terminology can advance with regard to “Social Media”. Thought leadership used to be driven from a top-down approach. The collaboration of various “media” has been a huge change for a number of agencies and individuals. To their credit, its sometimes worthwhile to not embrace everything all at once and let the events “sift out”. At the same time, we are all challenged with innovation. With that said, innovation, implies change and can be misconstrued or taken aghast. I’m hopefully we can “recoin” the terminology and make it more harmonizing and embraceable. Any ideas?

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

While I agree that there has been TV as a social media, we can probably distinguish new social media from this an older types. And while these new social media are tools they can be disruptive or at least innovative technology which changes the way we do business, govern and form groups.

Lori Winterfeldt
    Participant

The use and integration of social media into communication plans is a true paradigm shift. We need to integrate use of these new tools sooner rather than later.

Ellen McCarthy
    Participant

Good points!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.