The Upward Path is Blocked. Now What?

Home Forums Careers The Upward Path is Blocked. Now What?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dylan Hayden 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Dylan Hayden
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m a GS-13 in a a field office, not headquarters, so local opportunities for advancement are few and far between. Recently, my boss retired after 40 years of service. He was a GS-15 and despite being assured numerous times by senior leadership that his position would be posted as a 14/15 to allow people in our office a chance to move up, the vacancy was posted as a straight GS-15. Tried rolling the dice and applying externally, hoping 30% disabled veteran status would at least get me a look, but I didn’t make it past the initial screeners. Oh Well, it was worth a shot. So for now, it seems the upward path is blocked in my office.

I suppose I’m curious what others might do in this situation. I believe I have much more to offer than my current position allows. If my options are to uproot my family to advance in federal government, leave and find something comparable on the outside (certainly not easy!), or sit and wait out someone else’s career, I have some serious thinking to do.

If you feel like weighing in, I appreciate your time and insight. If not, thanks for reading my rant.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.