The Web Is Dead?

Home Forums Miscellaneous The Web Is Dead?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Peteritas 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

AJ Malik
    Participant

According to this month’s Wired Magazine, the web as we know it, is evolving into it’s next phase: “the move from the wide-open Web to semi-closed platforms that use the Internet for transport but not the browser for display.” Driven by the mass proliferation/adoption/consumption of mobile apps by the seismic shift from personal computers to wireless mobile devices, the new paradigm is more about the getting and less about the searching, precisely what simpler sleeker mobile applications deliver.

Do you agree/disagree with Chris Anderson and Michael Wolff’s claim that the world wide web is “dead.”

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I definitely see his point. It really plays in with all these moves to clouds and how each cloud has it’s own servers and log-ins.

I wouldn’t say dead but dying

Stephanie R. Hurter
    Participant

Wired makes an interesting, albeit not new, point. Many continue to debate the sustainability of the web as we know it. Like most technologies, the web is adapting to its user-base and evolving.

AJ Malik
    Participant

Gartner: By 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide.

Matthew Hall
    Participant

This is total crap. The Web is no more dead than TV and Music. The fact that you can now view the web through apps on mobile devices says to me that the web has simply evolved. Every application built on all the mobile devices are essentially channel of the web. So instead of changing channels the old way by moving around the antennas on the TV set, or by browsing through until you find something other than snow, you now have a remote control and hundreds of channels. Its all still browsing. We can all still create “websites” in this new evolution by creating our own mobile apps, or channels.

Peter Sperry
    Participant

I agree completely. Also, this “More about getting and less about searching” nonsense is getting out of hand. More and more apps, including those on traditional web platforms, seem to be trying to think for me rather than provide me with a range of options (search) to choose from. For all the functionality supposedly provided by some of these newer apps, I consistently find applying the card catalogue search skills I learned in the 60s to Google search produces the most useful information in the least amount of time in most instances.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

The Web is as dead as live theater. In other words; the Web will still be around for many years. In fact, when you view the technical aspects of the mobile apps you still have the HTML, Javascript, CSS, Flash, and databases infrastructure to build many of these apps. Each new medium transforms the previous mediums. For example, think of how radio has changed as a result of the Internet. Radio stations are still on the air and now you can stream any station from any place in the world while the Web allows stations to carry on two-way conversations with their audience.

Wired is “tired” on this idea that the Web is dead.

Tracy Kerchkof
    Participant

I agree. The information in the article is interesting, and I agree that the web is changing rapidly with the advent of mobile apps, but the headline seems to just be a way to rattle cages and get more hits.

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

My first reaction was similar to the earlier posts that the “web” is just evolving. We even have version #s for it. Web 2.0 was about user generated content and social applications such as YouTube and Wikipedia, then version web 3.0 is vaguely and hopefully described as “the Web of Openness. This reflects the idea that the web will evlove to give us wht we want and that now includes breaking the data siloes and making the web ss a whole “smarter.”

But on reflection I think that is as much hope as likely prediction. I think there is something in this “move from the wide-open Web to semi-closed platforms that use the Internet for transport.” This is worrisome because it seems at odds with the spirit of openness that the “Web” embodied.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

It seems a little strange to me for the author to use something he considers dead to communicate his message.

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

Maybe he posted it from a Blackberry. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.