Third Story Drop? What Happens to Old Equipment in Your Office?

Home Forums Technology Third Story Drop? What Happens to Old Equipment in Your Office?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Natalie Jennings 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Each week, GovLoop teams up with the Washington Post to ask a “Federal Worker Question.” This week’s question is:

What happens to hardware in your office when it’s no longer fit for service?

According to a bulletin released last week by the General Services Administration, you have about 6-7 options:

1. Reuse, recycle or repurpose (I mean, why can’t an old printer become a standing work desk?)
    2. Transfer to another agency (not you, the equipment)
    3. Donate it to a non-profit or school (nothing like hand-me-downs, eh?)
    4. Sell it (just be sure to wipe it clean – inside and out, of course)
    5. Destroy it (Office Space-style, remote field and a bat. Just kidding, don’t do that.*)

Which option do you like the best?

Which option does your agency choose?

* Whatever you do, don’t take it to a landfill or an incinerator.

Natalie Jennings
    Participant

I remember a mobile electronics recycling unit coming by the Hill, collecting staffers’ personal used equipment when I worked in the Senate, and one of our @PostPoliitics Twitter followers recommend “A great non-profit organization that could use some of those recycled electronics is Voice To The World.” I wonder if the agencies work in partnership with those organizations?

I like the idea of donating — but with technology changing so fast these days, I wonder if it helps the institutions as intended. Reusing is always fun, but depending on space, it can sometimes not be very practical. When in doubt, don’t throw it out — recycle!

Corey McCarren
    Participant

May I ask why no landfill or incinerator? Is it an environmental thing? I’ve smashed personal tech before because I don’t want anyone taking my information and by the time I get new things usually the old ones are either completely obsolete or in awful shape. I want to be mindful of the environment, though!

Peter Hunt
    Participant

I used the industrial balers to reduce the size of e-waste and other waste. It helps to reduce the costing and handling charges of the waste recycling.

Henry Brown
    Participant

Have worked with agencies that do all the above;

1. Reuse, in some cases, became a somewhat of a political problem “why do they have a personal printer or 23 inch monitor and I don’t

2. Transferring to another agency was totally dependent on the near proximity of the agency, although when we took excess equipment to salvage other agencies had first choice prior to “outsiders”

3. At the time we were donating to non-profits or schools, they were so far in the computer dark ages that they were totally grateful for ANY equipment

4.The only modification to Selling it would be that after wiping would take the hardware to Salvage, where they would either try to sell it for reuse, or sell it for parts. I understand that if they didn’t sell they were in fact taken to a landfill

5. two agencies ago, we would have “contests” to see who could destroy the hard drives both the quickest and with the most unique tools. with some rather unique tools showing up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.