Thoughts on Facebook Going Public

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Thoughts on Facebook Going Public

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

This morning I read an article on Yahoo! Finance, explaining in detail what Facebook’s steps towards an IPO means for Facebook users. I have to admit, I was kind of surprised –

1) The price of each of Facebook’s 850 million active users for advertisers will jump from $4.50 to $120. Facebook will profit all of this, with a small portion going to Wall Street.

2) Everything you like, suggest, or share will automatically be recorded and used for advertising purposes for you, and your entire friends list. You will also see advertisements for things your friends like, suggest, or share. If you think it’s bad now, it will be worse.

3) For Facebook as a company, nothing is changing. Zuckerberg will still have complete control, making the shift more of a publicity stunt. As the article explains, “buyers of the stock are simply cashing out VC’s and funding the exploitation of whatever information they and their friends choose to share”

Zuckerberg even said himself “Facebook was not originally created to be a company. It was built to accomplish a social mission — to make the world more open and connected.”

Do you think these changes are going against this original mission? Would you purchase Facebook shares? Do you think the amount of advertising is going to drive away users?

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Facebook is getting real crowded (as far as pages are concerned) and a big reason is because there’s a lot of advertisements. I don’t have anything against advertisements by any means, they allow resources to not cost me money, directly at least. However, when it becomes an eyesore it’s a little much.

Also, yes, they are going against the original mission, but missions should evolve over time. Things change from college to when you’re out in the world, and as Zuckerberg evolved as a person, so did the mission of Facebook. Most of us would do the same thing if we were Zuckerberg, I know I would have.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.