Top 10 Reflections on President Obama’s Speech

Home Forums Miscellaneous Top 10 Reflections on President Obama’s Speech

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Ken Boxer
    Participant

In celebration of the Martin Luther King holiday, I offer the following Top 10 reflections on President Obama’s speech this past Thursday, January 13, 2011 at the memorial service in Tucson, Arizona.

1. One of the ways we honor the fallen is nurture the relationships with the people that are still with us.
    2. One way to effectively deal with tragedies is to challenge old assumptions and guard against simple explanations in an effort to understand why bad things happen and how we can prevent them from happening in the future.
    3. Be better in our personal lives – living up to our children’s expectations.
    4. Talk in a way that unites and heals – not wounds – so that we do not turn on each other.
    5. Listen carefully and with empathy and discuss issues with a heavy dose of humility.
    6. Be grateful even in the darkest moments.
    7. Reflect on your priorities: How well have you loved? How have you made the lives of others better?
    8. True heroes understand that living life is not a dress rehearsal. We all should do what we can to make a difference as did Daniel Hernandez, the first responders, and other who dealt with this tragedy.
    9. We need to help those who are in need or jumping in rain puddles.
    10. How we treat others is up to us. All of us need to examine ways that we can improve relationships with others.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to listen to it, please check it out on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbJmXQDIGA&feature=player_embedded

This is a great summary, Ken. Thank you for sharing your reflections! #7 is my favorite.

Tarryn Reddy
    Participant

I like #4. I think its really relevant to what is happening in politics right now and should be applied to how Members of Congress deal with political debates. (well I hope they try to)

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I’m a sucker for metaphors so I like number 8 the best but I’d like to see any of these things become more than just words on a page.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

While the venue, and some of the boisterous undergrad crowd at the back, didn’t really lend itself to a national broadcast, or to the moment, if you can ignore all of that, it was an apt and heartfelt speech, and I think the very sort of thing that would have also been said (and been appropriate to say) 6, 16 or 36 months from now in a different political zeitgeist.

While we certainly do not wish tragedy on anyone, one of the things that comes from tragedy is pause for reflection on one’s priorities.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.