Treasury Joins the Blogging World

Home Forums Technology Treasury Joins the Blogging World

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Adriel Hampton 7 years ago.

• Author

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Some exciting news on the Treasury front. The US Department of Treasury has launched its official blog, “Treasury Notes,” today. The department has been active in the online community with their Facebook, Twitter, Flickr,YouTube and MySpace accounts. What’s the next step for Treasury? A blog.

The blog launched with a post from Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. Check it out and learn more about the Department of Treasury.
    I myself am pretty thrilled about this. I love seeing government agencies embracing Gov 2.0!

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

It’s a slick site, but the blogs don’t have comments enabled? That’s a “why are you blogging, then?” question in my book. I’d like to hear what developers think of it.

Eric Erickson
    Participant

I applaud Treasury for diving into the world of social media. However, the whole point of starting a blog is to spark dialogue and discussion with your readers. You write something with the goal of discovering what people have to say about your message. A blog without comments is simply a news release, media advisory or agency statement.

Another way to think of it – a blog is like a roundtable or panel discussion – where one person kicks off the conversation and everyone else joins in, and then and expresses their opinions and their two cents. A blog with no comments is simply a speech – where the audience listens…and then leaves.

With all due respect, if an agency doesn’t have the manpower or desire to manage comments, they are not demonstrating a full commitment to their blog – or their readers.

Eric Erickson
    Participant

That’s a slippery slope. One of the reasons bloggers should allow comments is that they are editorials by typically untrained writers or journalists. Not always, of course – but anyone can start a blog. Not just anyone can write for the New York Times.

Without comments, a blog is more like a news report – but by a writer who may not be properly checking facts or citing resources as would a respectable and trained journalist.

By allowing comments, a blogger – even one who is blogging as a trained journalist – is engaging in something along the lines of a checks-and-balances system – where people can challenge or correct the blogger when there are questionable facts or details in their posts. It’s a measure of good faith on the part of the blogger toward their audience.

While Seth Godin’s blog does not allow posts, it therefore does not fit the definition of a true ‘blog.’ He does, however allow people to tweet his posts on Twitter or share his posts on Facebook – directly from his blog. So, in that sense, he is encouraging people to discuss his messages and challenge him if they feel the need to do so – which is better than nothing, I suppose.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

Thanks for the comments! Great discussion going on here!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.