Use of Body Language

Home Forums Leadership and Management Use of Body Language

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

Body language affects how others see us, but it may also change how we see ourselves. Social psychologist Amy Cuddy shows how “power posing” — standing in a posture of confidence, even when we don’t feel confident — can affect testosterone and cortisol levels in the brain, and might even have an impact on our chances for success.

Amy Cuddy’s research on body language reveals that we can change other people’s perceptions — and even our own body chemistry — simply by changing body positions

view the ~20 minute video at Ted.com

I saw that video, Henry, and it really struck me. I am paying a lot more attention to my posture and presence these days!

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

The video is fascinating

Jennifer Boyt
    Participant

I really liked this video because it not only suggests that you pay more attention to your posture, but when you do pay more attention to your posture, your whole out look changes. For instance, when I am under stressful situations I tend to close up…I cross my arms, lean my shoulders in, cross my legs, get sweatey palms, etc. After a brief coaching session, my posture was brought to my attention and since I have been more aware of my posture, I have been able to have better conversations with people and groups that used to intimidate me. By simply standing in the “Superwoman” pose, as Amy suggests, instead of curling up in stressful situations, I feel more powerful. Because I feel more powerful, I am then actually able to focus better on the topics being discussed and provide input that I would not have normally been able to provide because I was too conscious if people saw my hands sweaty or were judging me for one reason or another. You only need to do one of these “powerful positions” for 2 minutes a day and I am a true believer in Amy’s final comment…tiny tweaks = BIG CHANGES

Anne Steppe
    Participant

I don’t think this is going to do much for my testosterone level (sorry, just had to go there – lol) . I am encouraged by Jennifer’s posting and whenever I want to ball up into a fetal position, I’ll l remind myself that “tiny tweaks = BIG CHANGES.” Excellent video; thanks Henry.

Susan Pcola-Davis
    Participant

Our IRM/IT/IM block the site so we can’t view it. Anyone know of a way I can view it (besides at home)

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Henry:

Interesting front page article in today’s Washington Post on body language during Tuesday’s presidential debate.

DBG

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.