User Profiles and Labor Groups

Home Forums Human Resources User Profiles and Labor Groups

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Joel Sapp
    Participant

Hi,

Have any of you implemented user profiles within your local/state/federal departments that included employees that were part of a union ? User profiles could include resume, education, experience, contact information, work address, skills, line managers, publications, etc.

In comparison to their nonunion counterparts:
    • Was all the user’s profile information available
    • Were certain fields of information not restricted
    • Did you have to have certain information removed or opted out opt-in
    I am trying to overcome some hesitation from a US Federal agency’s Labor Council and am looking for some good examples of what people have done in the past.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hmm…what is the system internally? Like an intranet, social space or something different

Wonder how much different it is than the already in existant information that is in the Outlook (or other software) directory. If already there not sure how it is any different

Joel Sapp
    Participant

Actually it would be all of those. Something internally accessible only, that would be a good deal like LinkedIn with some information automatically populated.

But you raise a good point, most organization would only auto-populate that information that is found in the LDAP or Global Address book. The rest added would mostly be OPT-IN information.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

What’s the technology? We’ve seen a few at different agencies (Spacebook, etc) built on Drupal, Jive, Ingage, and a few other tech.

Generally I think pulling LDAP and making rest opt-in seems to be way to go.

Michele Costanza
    Participant

@ Joel: What is the purpose of the user profiles? Are they used as an expert locator, like a Yellow Pages for experts within the agency? It seems then that you would want them to self-identify as experts and provide enough information in the profile fields for others to locate them through a keyword search.

If you ask prompts or questions and make those required fields when they submit their profiles, this will probably lead to more complete user profiles.

I’m interested in seeing other responses about how making some fields required in user profiles would be different for union or non-union employees.

Even if the fields in user profiles are required, knowledge sharing is mostly voluntary, so it’s back to the concept of creating a sense of community when people “join” and fill out their user profiles.

Joel Sapp
    Participant

The application is Lotus Connections. Unlike a LinkedIn or Facebook, you have a profile created right from go-live. Other information is automatic – like what groups you create or belong to, or documents you would like to share etc, and then if you would like to contribute more about yourself, you can.

What would be interesting to me is if any one has had complications or special requirements from Labor Councils. I understand that much of this would be available in a global address book and I am sure that will be one way to try to get this council to look at it, but to give examples would also help reduce fears and concerns.

Joel Sapp
    Participant

Profiles serves a number of purposes.
    – It provides a great employee whitepages to find someone fast. It helps immensely when you are out of the office and can’t walk over to someones desk and ask a quick question
    – It does provide some textual level of expert location – though I would say there is a lot more to a true expertise location tool than just what people add to their own profile. But many of the enterprise tools will also connect blogs, communities and public files to a person’s profile – so you can quickly find who might best be able to help out on a response to an emergency or quick question.
    – It is a jumping point to where people interact and learn more about the organization. These tools will show managers and managers of managers and their employees.

I recently coauthored a study about how organizations that are using new tools to connect people, processes and information are becoming leading their industries. I think profiles is a big part of that story.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I know GSA uses Lotus Connections as well…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.