Using Social Media to create a Virtual Office

Home Forums Human Resources Using Social Media to create a Virtual Office

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Kevin Carter
    Participant

Does anyone have experience using social media to create a private, office only group?

We are currently looking to create a Linkedin group that the employees in our office can use to post discussions and facilitate communication. Nothing in the group would be PPI; rather we’d be posting things like “I’m on vacation from Aug. 26-Sept. 7” or “What topics would you like us to cover in next weeks meeting?”

Any thoughts on any regulations (FOIA, etc) that might govern our group?

The GovLoop team uses a private group here on GovLoop for that purpose, Kevin. It works really well. We just had a bunch of people on vacations and we posted the schedule in the group, I referred to it often during those 2-3 week (“Now who is in or our again?”). We also post kudos and interesting information for the rest of the team in that online space.

No, but I belong to a private Facebook group where we all share a non-contagious incurable disease. I would not recommend posting (anywhere) when you are on vacation. It announces that your house is vacant and you are a target.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I’m not sure if you are a Federal employee or not, but if so, you can establish a secure, members-only group in the OMB Max system (https://max.omb.gov/maxportal/home.do). It is great for those who are paranoid about using social networks because it if very restrictive and sanctioned by the Federal government. It also is at a “.gov” so it won’t be blocked.

If that doesn’t work, you can always set up a group on LinkedIn just for your office and restrict access.

Kevin Carter
    Participant

Thanks for the input. Piloting a linkedin group with our smaller office.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.