Video and Photo Management management, streaming and storage

Home Forums Technology Video and Photo Management management, streaming and storage

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 5 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Bandar El-Eita
    Participant

Are there a few companies providing solutions for video and photo management, streaming and storage?

Do you have any experience with good solutions that meet Federal Government rules and requirements and help team members working worldwide have access to the same information?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hmm…so not public facing like Flickr/etc?

I know Google apps for government has a video component that should solve that piece. Perhaps Sharepoint as well?

Faye Newsham
    Participant

There are Flickr TOS with various agencies and you can restrict access pretty easily. I wouldn’t reject it out of hand, but it may not be the type of thing you are looking for… what do you feel are your top 3 or 4 requirements? That may help you narrow the choices down.

Lisa Fleming
    Participant

I’m a local govie so not familiar with federal requirements, but we have had a great experience with Express Portfolio for still images and Granicus for video storage and streaming. Both provide the ability to work and store things within a firewall and still make items available outside.

Robert Gresh
    Participant

Photo collections are generally public-facing, and there are a number of agencies that maintain their own on-line photo galleries. Flickr does not seem like a professional solution for a large government agency. At USDA, there have been suggestions, in the wake of security reviews of on-line photo galleries, that facial images appearing in photographs constitute PII, or personally identifiable information. Therefore, signed permissions would be needed for persons appearing in photos, and these signed documents would need to be maintained and associated with the photo files somehow. No one is quite sure how that would be done, but it has huge ramifications. UDSA will be moving towards adoption of National Archives standards for photo collections, but the PII issue is one i do not believe even NARA has addressed.

Gary White
    Participant

Local gov also, and I would echo Lisa’s staement about Granicus. We’ve used it for 4+ years and very satisfied. They recently added mobile formats which include podcasts.

Bandar El-Eita
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Lisa and Gary, I’ll take a look!

Bandar El-Eita
    Participant

Interesting dilemma! I don’t think Flickr is going to be a robust enough solution, and the PII issue is an interesting wrinkle. Thanks for your feedback!

Jeremy Swan
    Participant

Flickr does not seem like a professional solution for a large government agency

I know what you mean, but I also think you’re overgeneralizing. Even within agencies, not everyone wants or needs to become part of a larger set of digital assets. They want to upload images en masse (not one at a time), and then share with controlled groups of people, which is how the number of images on facebook has come to dwarf the number of images in the national archives.

A professional DAM costs thousands, or at least tens of thousands of dollars, with contractors working to support it (there are labor costs for even the free DAMS). Why not use a tool that costs $25/year for tagging and controlled sharing of unlimited photos and videos? What is missing in Flickr, that a professional Digital Asset Management System has?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a giant government DAM System to serve photos and videos directly, but I don’t see that happening at the agency level anytime soon.

Joe Flood
    Participant

Agree. There’s a huge difference between $25 and $25,000. Plus, Flickr is up and running now. You can use it immediately versus putting out a RFP, reviewing proposals, etc… Another advantage: the users are probably familiar with Flickr, which will make it easier for them.

Andy Willis
    Participant

I saw that you also asked about “streaming” in your original question. I think you might be talking about a VMS (Video Management System). A VMS is used to manage CCTV (most modern systems have IP Cameras using H.264 compression) within a closed, site-based system. What that means is that the cameras that are located at a building or on a campus all come back to a server via a traditional network and are managed and stored. Most VMS’s allows access via computers on that network and form outside with the proper access.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.