Video Surveillance

Home Forums Technology Video Surveillance

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mark Hammer 5 years ago.

• Author

Henry Brown
    Participant

Although this ~32 minute video was filmed in London suspect that has very little to do with the subject…

IMO should be viewed by everyone who has any interest at all about Privacy and Security!

Increasing numbers of ‘terror suspects’ are being arrested on the basis of online and CCTV surveillance data. Authorities claim they act in the public interest, but does this intense surveillance keep us safer?

“I woke up to pounding on my door”, says Andrej Holm, a sociologist from the Humboldt University. In what felt like a scene from a movie, he was taken from his Berlin home by armed men after a systematic monitoring of his academic research deemed him the probable leader of a militant group. After 30 days in solitary confinement, he was released without charges. Across Western Europe and the USA, surveillance of civilians has become a major business. With one camera for every 14 people in London and drones being used by police to track individuals, the threat of living in a Big Brother state is becoming a reality. At an annual conference of hackers, keynote speaker Jacob Appelbaum asserts, “to be free of suspicion is the most important right to be truly free”. But with most people having a limited understanding of this world of cyber surveillance and how to protect ourselves, are our basic freedoms already being lost?

Watch on YouTube:

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Well you’re a busy boy today, Henry!

You know, on the one hand, the safety of a community should not depend solely on how many people it can employ to provide that safety. This is why we have things like cameras at intersections to catch folks speeding through red lights; it’s a public endangerment and we don’t need folks in patrol cars waiting around to recognize that. At the same time, as municipal, regional, state, and federal budgets for public safety get tightened, we turn ever more to technological solutions to our inability to have enough people to patrol, oversee, etc. In the defense domain, we turn to drones, and such, to provide something that functions more or less like troops on the ground, but without the cost or cost in lives…at least to “us”.

But technology without human intervenors has a way of of making less wise decisions, or perhaps leading any humans that ARE involved, to make less wise decisions.

We have all experienced the exasperation of being ticketed by those folks who simply walk around mindlessly issuing tickets according to the letter of the by-laws. I understand fully that they are not paid, nor were they hired, to have the wisdom of Solomon. But we expect justice to be the embodiment of wisdom, and when we rely more and more on technology and simple algorithmic systems to assure safety and justice, I can’t help feeling that wisdom is leaking out, dripping, and departing that domain. And that’s not what we wanted…at all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.