Wellness program and Healthcare Reform

Home Forums Human Resources Wellness program and Healthcare Reform

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Allen Sheaprd 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

What do you consider will be the best avenue to implement and enforce a Wellness Program to help the employees stay health but at the same tume reduce the absenteeism (because of sickness) of employees and increase the productivity?

Allen Sheaprd
    Participant

There are so many answers. The oddest idea is showing people what its like to be sick. Deaths from diabeties in this town or office. It makes the problem “real”

Time to walk. To get groups together to walk for 20 min three times a week. Emails are cheap and easy but actions speak louder than words. Just like a blood drive – its that person to person contact that gets people moving.

Why is wellness part of health care reform? Being healthy is smart. Its smart before “Health care affordability act” was written and will be smart after it is re-written and fixed.

Wellness is for you – the person. Its not to save money, that is a side effect. People who are well have more energy. Sick days happen Monday – Friday but sickness can last all weekend long, or all during a holiday. That sucks!

Thank you Allen for your answer. I was very busy traveling in order to hire Nurse Practitioners around the country. Anyway I am going to post the same question to see if other friends in GovLoop have more ideas.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

From a recent WorldatWork report:

Faced with rising health-care costs and a growing concern over the health of their employees, a vast majority of multinational organizations plan to place a higher priority on workforce health initiatives and the overall well-being of their workers in the next few years, according to a survey from Towers Watson. The survey also found that wellness programs have become prevalent worldwide as more multinationals promote health and well-being.

Three out of four companies said workforce health and promoting health and well-being will be more of a priority this year and next, while 87% said it will be a higher priority over the next two to four years. To address this growing priority, nearly half of respondents (47%) plan to implement a global workforce health strategy in the next two years. Currently, less than one-third (32%) of multinationals have a global workforce health strategy in place.

I’m sure your nurses have some great ideas, but the bottom line is to encourage sedentary employees to be more active, eat a balanced diet, get regular checkups, and maximize their usage of the new provisions of modern healthcare plans.

Thank you very much Terrance for your comment and ideas…believe me sometimes the professionals who work directly in the field (nurses and physician) do not understand the administrative point of view of us. I like your comments and your statistic information. It is a big help for me because as a human resources I saw it based on reducing absenteeism and saving costs for the company. Once again, thank you,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.