What are some habits of highly-ineffective people?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What are some habits of highly-ineffective people?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Found this question on Quora and had to laugh at answer by Starleigh Grass

Accessed 6/10/12

Below is the cut and paste:
    “Follow the advice of whomever you talked to most recently.
    “Worry a lot about what other people think of you and then be paralyzed by the fear of not living up to those expectations.
    “Be afraid of new things and new situations. Seek out some sort of stasis rather than embracing a dynamic existence.
    “Dwell on your failures and the failures of others.
    “Insist upon doing everything yourself and don’t communicate what you’ve already done and are working on to the other people on your team.”

What would you add?

Ouch – I relate to a couple of those…but I suppose being aware of those weak spots is the foundation for improvement 🙂

My biggie: bouncing from one thing to the next without a plan or process for dealing with multiple distractions.

Dick Davies
    Participant

Spend significant time catching up with the same four people every day.

Focus on the task rather than the purpose of the task.

Ignore technology.

Ignore feelings.

Placate the wrong people.

Judge people without taking the time to understand them.

Take things personally.

Use the workplace as a psychological stomping ground.

Work all the time.

Think “Me first”.

Stay off of GovLoop and other comparable sites.

Vanessa Vogel
    Participant

I like that last point. A highly ineffective person would stay off of GovLoop!

Yes – because they will spend weeks or months on a task where they could have asked a question and found it faster here!

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Let tasks get lost in the pipeline. It’s easy, especially in a start-up environment where there’s constant change and new projects, but can lead to lots of great projects not being completed.

Alan L. Greenberg
    Participant

A highly ineffective person will take the most clear cut, obvious, no-brainer decision and find a reason why it shouldn’t be done.

Similarly, the same person will practice the “goal line stand.” When a job or plan is 90% complete, find a way to obstruct the remaining 10%.

Sheryl Hoag
    Participant

Be concerned with petty details and never consider the broader picture.

Create an environment of distrust in the workplace to guarantee that employees do not work together.

Always have a finger ready to assign blame so that you never have to address the solution to a problem.

Sheryl Hoag
    Participant

Or when a project is almost complete, step up and take credit for it.

Stephen W. Ramsden
    Participant

I would say that not allowing your team to do what they do best without your constant micro-management of every step. If your the leader of the team, do your leadership duties and stay out of the step by step processes used by your team unless they are not meeting the goals you have set for them.

Patty Hardee
    Participant

Employees who complain constantly to co-workers, but don’t develop personal strategies for change or ask leaders for help finding a solution. Constant complainers just bring everybody down.

And conversely–Leaders/managers who know about the constant complaining, but don’t address it or really listen to the complainer. Sometimes the complaints have real merit.

This is all great stuff. Seth Godin wrote a similarly ironic post, “How to succeed” a few days ago:

(http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/06/how-to-succeed.html)

Cut and pasted below:

—-

You don’t need all of these, and some are mutually exclusive (while others are not). And most don’t work, don’t scale or can’t be arranged:
    Be very focused on your goal and work on it daily
    Go to college with someone who makes it big and then hires you
    Be born with significant and unique talent
    Practice every day
    Network your way to the top by inviting yourself from one lunch to another, trading favors as you go
    Quietly do your job day in and day out until someone notices you and gives you the promotion you deserve
    Do the emotional labor of working on things that others fear
    Notice things, turn them into insights and then relentlessly turn those insights into projects that resonate
    Hire a great PR firm and get a lot of publicity
    Work the informational interview angle
    Perform outrageous acts and say obnoxious things
    Inherit
    Redefine your version of success as: whatever I have right now
    Flit from project to project until you alight on something that works out very quickly and well
    Be the best-looking person in the room
    Flirt
    Tell stories that people care about and spread
    Contribute more than is expected
    Give credit to others
    Take responsibility
    Aggrandize, preferably self
    Be a jerk and win through intimidation
    Be a doormat and refuse to speak up or stand up
    Never hesitate to share a kind word when it’s deserved
    Sue people
    Treat every gig as an opportunity to create art
    Cut corners
    Focus on defeating the competition
    When dealing with employees, act like Steve. It worked for him, apparently.
    Persist, always surviving to ship something tomorrow
    When in doubt, throw a tantrum
    Have the ability to work harder and more directly than anyone else when the situation demands it
    Don’t rock the boat
    Rock the boat
    Don’t rock the boat, baby
    Resort to black hat tactics to get more than your share
    Work to pay more taxes
    Work to evade taxes
    Find typos

Email this • Subscribe to this feed • Share on Facebook

It’s sort of hard to tell whether he endorses being a jerk or not. I think that is the irony – do we care?

Shelly Nuessle
    Participant

I was going to say, never delegate, but its on there

Sherry Taylor
    Participant

Worry that every person on the team is not doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. Wants conformity over productivity. Worry that if someone else goes over and above (customer service) it will make them look bad and wants everyone else to lower their standards to theirs. Dramatize every obstacle and bring in everyone who will listen to the “oh woe is me” lament.

Sheryl Hoag
    Participant

Do you work with my boss?

Pattie Buel
    Participant

Spend twice as long complaining about having to do a task than actually completing the task would take.

Make three personal calls for every work related call during the day

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Too much talking, not enough listening. People need to perfect the art of listening to others and absorbing that info — rather than trying to impress them with what you think you already know. Larry King once said, “I never learned anything when I was talking.” See Esquire article: http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/larry-king-interview-0910

Moreover, be an “active listener” by making steady eye contact and using body language that shows you are really paying attention and genuinely interested in what the other person is saying (nodding your head, etc.).

DBG

“Elephant in the room? That’s not an elephant.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.