What are the Hurdles for Cloud Procurements?

Home Forums Acquisitions What are the Hurdles for Cloud Procurements?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Peter G. Tuttle 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Professor Kelman recently wrote an article in FCW on the cloud computing procurement process asking if there were any real hurdles for cloud procurements – a previous column by Alan Jochs had argued there were huge hurdles.

So what do you think – what are the hurdles for cloud procurements?

Peter G. Tuttle
    Participant

Hi Steve. Let me add a twist to your question: What are the hurdles that need to be faced and overcome for Agency procurement organizations to actually perform their mission using the cloud? Rationale for question: Agencies are scrambling to reduce the cost of governing, in part, by reducing their physical footprint. Given the state of 21st Century technology, the procurement function should be able to be executed successfully in the cloud without regard for brick-and-mortar facility space. Thoughts? Cheers. Pete

Jaime Gracia
    Participant

A climate of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is really the key ingredient in the acquisition process, specifically when it comes to IT. It is aversion to risk that really hampers the system. I am glad to hear @ J. Johnson’s comments, as I have had some recent unpleasant conversations with CO/KOs who claim that the government is not risk averse, and innovation is the key ingredient into the work 1102s are currently doing. Really?

Cloud computing does not need yet more MACs. They already exist. What is needed is standardized processes for security and implementation, that can be used across the federal space in conjunction with industry collaboration. Rapid technology insertion requires this direct collaboration with industry, but also calculated risks based on best practices and a strong relationship with industry partners.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.