What are you doing on Memorial Day?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What are you doing on Memorial Day?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Peter G. Tuttle 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

It’s a day that we observe in the U.S. to honor men and women who sacrificed their lives through military service.

Most of us break out the boat or barbecue for the first time and savor the arrival of summer.
    Others find a cemetery to say a prayer or pay their respects to those who paid the ultimate price.
    Me: I’m going to spend time with friends on Sunday, feeling especially grateful for the freedoms that we often take for granted.
    What are you doing this Memorial Day weekend?

———————————————————————————————

And here’s the most moving 6 minutes of any movie…ever. How can we not feel a profound sense of pride and awe and gratitude?

Peter G. Tuttle
    Participant

As a bare minimum, I plan to shelter enough time to reflect on the sacrifices of oure Nation’s military who, throughout our history, paid the price for our freedom. They sacrificed their tomorrows so that we, so far, have avoided being slaves to the harsh jack-boot of fascism, communism, imperialism, etc. Some time for reflection between flipping burgers or drinking beer is not too much to ask. Go out of your way to thank a Veteran for his or her service…..and have a great holiday…but remember why we have the holiday in the first place. Cheers.

Noel Carr
    Participant

I live about a mile or two from Arlington National Cemetery. For those who also live in the area, if you have a chance to visit the cemetery this weekend, definitely think about spending an hour or two walking around. The flags placed at all the headstones can be very moving.

Here is a great article and photo essay of the ‘Flags In’ ceremony:
    http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=59379
    http://www.defense.gov/PhotoEssays/PhotoEssaySS.aspx?ID=1712

Julia Ridgely
    Participant

I will be watching my father, a WWII veteran, participate in the Rockville Memorial Day parade. He is 88 years old and remembers seeing Civil War veterans march in his hometown’s parade growing up. Perhaps the children who see him on Monday will live into the 22nd century and tell their grandkids about it.

Thanks to the City of Rockville for reaching out to our surviving WWII vets, including my dad. They have been lovely about proving instructions, rides, etc., and he is quite excited about it!

Sterling Whitehead
    Participant

Unfortunately I’ll spend a lot of time moving but I’m going to find the time to walk to Arlington National Cemetery.

Barry Everett
    Participant

We are celebrating by enjoying the fruits of the all the sacrifices of the men and women who gave it all. The warriors went into harm’s way, so that we could piddle around the house, put in a new walk to the front gate, and we honor them by doing the simple things they can no longer do with their loved ones. Tonight we are watching the PBS Memorial Day Concert, and the stories of love and bravery, loss and renewal. Never forget.

John Bordeaux
    Participant

I think Peter has stated it well. We reflect on their lives, but also on the nation they made possible. This former Airman will be spending it with his former-Marine son-in-law and three tiny grandchildren – all too young to know the price paid for the joy in their lives.

Chris Bennett
    Participant

Short answer: Helping send the child of a fallen soldier to Disney World.

Longer answer: Earlier this year a colleague and I established Hero Day, an organization to grant wishes for children of fallen soldiers. Our first nominee is 5-year-old MacAidan Gallegos who lost his father in combat. MacAidan wants to go to Disney World over Christmas break.

What you can do: Donate to Hero Day to help us reach our goal. What a great way to honor those who gave their lives for our country today.

jill herndon
    Participant

Beach — and sharing the road with Rolling Thunder motorcycles.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

In Philly and spending time with family and friends. It’s pretty choice sans the massive allergy attack I’m having. And of course no Memorial Day is complete without a BBQ.

Greg Berry
    Participant

I spent the morning in my office doing my part to help local government become more efficient. This afternoon, I’ll be taking my Harley out for a ride while remembering those who fought for our freedom to do things we like to do, like riding my Harley. I’m going to find a way to attach an American Flag to it. I hope you all enjoy the day! And remember to thank a Veteran and those currently serving the greatest country on Earth!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Me…beach, computer, and thinking about those that served.

Ted Erlwein
    Participant

We are all reflecting which is good. My fun activities this weekend focus on Mule Days – http://www.muledays.org – the largest rodeo using mules rather then horses. Brings craziness to out little town.

Michael Pendleton
    Participant

Visiting my parents and having lunch at their club – many who grew up during WWII will be there and are wearing red, white and blue.

ChrisDu4
    Participant

My little cousin is in town from New Orleans, and we’re showing him the awesomeness of DC’s monuments and museums. Somber moments at Arlington National Cemetery. Soon to be off for burgers and beer tho!

Felicia Pecora
    Participant

I plan to eat some barbeque with a freind of mine. He was in the Air Force and spend a little time in the desert, I was in the Army and spent some time in Bosnia and Haiti. We are both very proud to have served. Tonight, I will say my prayers that the US Senate votes to repeal “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” so that my brother and sisters can continue their honorable service openly.

Hey Chris – great to meet you…decided to stick around all week, eh? Enjoy time with your cuz. Best place for burgers/beer: Capitol City Brewing Company.

Carol Miller
    Participant

I’m in Haiti today with Mangement Scieces for Health/USAID, but also thinking about those who serve and have served, and the families who have sacrificed as well.

Rob Stalder
    Participant

I attended this morning’s National Memorial Day Observance at Arlington National Cemetery.

How are things looking on the ground, Carol? My wife is originally from Haiti. Now that the CNN cameras have left, I’m curious to know if you’re seeing much progress…

Pamela Holt
    Participant

Definitely thought about the troops, current & former & discussed these issues with spouse, who is former Army officer, about the state of the armed forces today, morale, etc. Was also planning on grilling out, but the rain was too much. Want the troops to get safely home!!!

Peggy Morse
    Participant

What am I doing on Memorial Day? I’m at Fort Campbell kissing my son good-bye before his deployment to Afghanistan. Tears…me. Him? Ready to roll with the 101st.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

We spent the weekend camping on the ocean beaches of South Carolina and enjoying the Memorial Day services in Myrtle Beach.

Richard Wong
    Participant

Back when we lived just outside of DC, we’d attend the Sunday evening concert at the Capitol – the readings of the personal letters always reminded me of the purpose of Memorial Day. Then Monday morning we’d attend the services at Arlington Cemetery. This weekend we visited the Veterans tribute at Knoebels Grove, near Elysburg, PA.

Hi Richard – We watched part of the reading of the personal letters on TV. Always powerful!

– Andy

Michele Costanza
    Participant

I relocated to the D.C. area from Kansas City in January of this year. I did miss Kansas City BBQ yesterday.

I attended the Memorial Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. I’m so glad I didn’t miss it. I saw Section 60, where the troops from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are buried.

Thanks for sharing the pic, Michele. I’ve attended the ceremony in the past – a touching tribute…along with the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Carol Davison
    Participant

I spent Memorial day remembering the valor or the greatest generation of “ordinary” men like my Uncles Harry, Dave, Albert and Eddie Davison who climbed the nearly vertical and completely unprotected cliffs of Normandy under Nazi machine gun fire. Or that of my German Onkel Johann who spoke against the Nazis and was under arrest for years… And the mothers whose sons were killed or perhaps worse, missing in action, and never had the peace of closure, and the second and third verses of America the beautiful:
    Oh, beautiful, for heroes proved in liberating strife;
    who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life.
    America, America, May God thy gold refine
    till all success be nobleness and every gain divine

O beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years
    Thine alabaster cities gleam,Undimmed by human tears!
    America! America!God mend thine every flaw,
    Confirm thy soul in self control, thy liberty in law.

Former USAF SSGT Carol L. Davison

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Hanging with the family…loving life.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

thats awesome

Peter G. Tuttle
    Participant

Although not strictly on Memorial Day, I did spend Friday and Saturday on the SS John W. Brown, which is an operational WWII Liberty Ship that is berthed out of Baltimore, MD. The ship treats veterans, their families and other guests very well. We offer an historical-educational experience using a day cruise venue, plus we have a very moving memorial ceremony each cruise. You can see our aging WWII and Korean vets gain a bit of extra strength and be 19 years old again even if it only for a few hours. The ship is an excellent living tribute to all that served and I hope to see you on board one day. Link: http://www.liberty-ship.com/ Pete

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.