What are you reading during the holidays?

Home Forums Leadership and Management What are you reading during the holidays?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Jerry Rhoads 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Holiday’s is a great time to read. What are you reading this holiday?

Me – Moneyball, Steve Jobs bio

Jerry Rhoads
    Participant

Steve, Why Govloop of course….. actually I just downloaded Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Michael Stevens
    Participant

Besides assembly instructions for various kids toys and a 12′ trampoline?

GO THE F*!# TO SLEEP, by Adam Mansbach. Illustrated by Ricardo Cortés. The latest comic relief for parents of toddlers and it’s going around this holiday season. I got two. Hilarious though.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Sticking with fiction for the Holidays – Just finished The Drop by Michael Connelly and now reading Kill Alex Cross by James Patterson.

Jake DeBower
    Participant

“Back to Work” by Bill Clinton. Not bad so far, but it’s taking me a bit to really get into it.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

I went with something creepy, BROTHER ODD by Dean Koontz.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

I’m reading Hidden Moon. It gives an interesting prospective from within N. Korea.

Patrick B. LaBuff
    Participant

Case Studies for the Emergency Responder. A great read for any future public servents such as Firefighters, EMS, or Police officers!

– Lean Start Up by Eric Ries (thanks, Steve)

– Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp

Victoria A. Runkle
    Participant

Managing the Fiscal Metropolis, very academic study of Chicago suburban cities. Up to date with all the issues of the past two years. Recommend.

Budda in the Attic, loved it until the last chapter. Um, I think there is more of a story that could have been completed. Well written, just leaves one wondering where the end to the book is.

Catherine the Great, reluctant to read because it was getting too much buzz. Now that I am far into it, the buzz is all worth it. Highly recommend.

Swamplandia. Love it. Have to read one of these very strange books a year. Real popcorn for the brain.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

In His Steps, a classic by Charles Sheldon.

Judith Scott
    Participant

I haven’t read that in years. I’m going to pick it up again. Thanks for reminding me…..

I checked. It’s free on the Kindle.

Dale Rupright
    Participant

Trying to finally finish Colonel Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris. I love the book, but school reading always takes priority!

Daniel Y. Donahue
    Participant

-Dark Market, Misha Glenny

-America the Vulnerable, Joel Brenner

Joe Flood
    Participant

Hemingway’s Boat – it’s a great biography of the writer that focuses on the people that came in and out of his life in the 1930s.

Susan
    Participant

The Information Diet (Clay Johnson)

Passages for Caregivers (Gail Sheehy)

Homer’s Odyssey (Gwen Cooper)

Information, Policy, and Power (Sandra Braman)

And, of course, GovLoop blogs!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

How’s the Info Diet?

Tracey M Anderson
    Participant

Roosevelt’s Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage, Joseph E persico. I’ve listened to several others: People of the Book, Geraldine Brroks; The Lost Gate, Orson Scott Card; The Bread of Angels: A Journey to Love and Faith, Stephanie Saldana.

Dick Davies
    Participant

Anti-Cancer, David Servan-Schreiber. A incredible book for creating a useful model of medicine for the patients.

Reamde, Neal Stephenson. A huge book about the inter-lapping of the physical world and the cyberworld. A meditation on how we get better as we get older.

Lori Reichert
    Participant

“Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping” by Judith Levine. Interesting read on how to live within ones means and purchase only what one needs. Trying to get my debt down. Fits well with my Voluntary Simplicity lifestyle.

Susan Pcola-Davis
    Participant

Tom Clancey’s newest: Locked On! Also just finished “The best of me” by Nicholas Sparks and Lisa Gardner’s “Gone”

Susan Pcola-Davis
    Participant

Also finshed Kill Alex Cross………

Libby Holtmann
    Participant

try Goodnight iPad by Ann Droyd a takeoff on Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.

LMTB4
    Participant

I actually started to read the first book in the very popular Twilight Series! I became interested in doing so because I met one of the actors. Also, because I have written some YA Fiction. I didn’t get too far; however, I’m really impressed with the writing & how different it is from anything else I’ve ever read before! I’m also reading books on making your own jewelry & design & color.

Just started “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” again – last time I read it was 18 years ago! Planning to skim it and take 2012 by storm.

Patt Franc
    Participant

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Steig Larsson

Next up A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

Josh Nankivel
    Participant

Finished Lean Startup, starting on Running Lean soon. Also reading some fiction by Terry Goodkind when I need a break before going to bed so I’ll stop thinking about how many things I need to go do!

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

I am reading howto.gov

Lori Zipes
    Participant

I finished “The Help” – loaned from a friend. Wish I had read the book *before* seeing the movie. The book is always better!

Now reading “Infidel” by Ayaan Ali. Wow.

Next up will be “The Way that Water Enters Stone” by Dufresne. A collection of short stories. Should fit well into my lunch breaks now that work has resumed!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.