What are you reading right now?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service What are you reading right now?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

As a part time grad student, I have a LOT of assigned reading … but I am also always on the hunt for additional books that will quench my thirst for knowledge.

I just finished reading Tom Standage’s The Victorian Internet for school. (I loved it and would highly recommend it.) I am now about halfway through The Shallows by Nicholas Carr.

I currently have the following titles in my queue:

• Drive, Daniel Pink
    • Program or Be Programmed, Douglas Rushkoff
    • Reinventing the Sacred, Stuart A. Kauffman
    But I would love more suggestions! And I would also like to hear from those who have read any of the above titles. Please, recommend away!
    What are you reading now? What books would you recommend to the GovLoop community?

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I just finished Good in a Room by Stephanie Palmer. It was very good. I want to try The Hunger Games also, I hear good things. My favorite book, however, is The Regulators by Stephen King though I warn you it’s a pretty twisted read (that’s why I love it).

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Just finished

-Do More Faster, Brad Feld

-The Method Method…

Pamela Corey
    Participant

I’m reading the second in a trilogy – Quinn – by Iris Johannsen.

Gregory Butera
    Participant

I just recently finished a great novel called 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks and really enjoyed it. It’s a funny but serious look at the possible future in store for us all. Anyone interested in how our country is impacted by baby boomers entering Medicare, unemployment rates of younger people, and the tradeoffs that might have to be made as people live longer…it was very thought provoking. Think about how overall improvements in health care are already impacting the political debate…now imagine 20 years from now, as people regularly live into their 100s but retired at 65, and how society will have to deal with that. Very cleverly written novel, funny but scary at the same time.

Jason Hastings
    Participant

I am reading “Secret Wars: The History of MI5 and MI6.” It is a nonfiction history of the two British intelligence agencies. It is not particularly well-written but the real spy history if fascinating if you are into it so I would recommend it. I tend to strictly read non-fiction; I noticed this group is typically into fiction so I don’t comment as much as I used to.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Non-Fiction: I moved your cheese : for those who refuse to live as mice in someone else’s maze / Malhotra, Deepak

Fiction: Catch Me, Lisa Gardner

Speaking of which, I saw a disappointing statistic recently that 58% of households do not read books after graduating from school. This is very disheartening and kind of sad! There are so many good books and so little time!

Ed Albetski
    Participant

Throwback reading: I am re-reading SF writer Roger Zelazny’s “Amber” books. I’m currently in BLOOD OF AMBER the 2nd volume of the second 5 volume series. If you like the HBO series GAME OF THRONES (from a series of books written by George RR Martin, a friend of Roger’s) you might like this Chandleresque fantasy adventure series. All 10 books are included in one volume, THE GREAT BOOK OF AMBER.

Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. My Kindle is going to overflow with goodness!

Gregory Butera
    Participant

If you’re not already a member, there is a Govloop group that is just about book reading… https://www.govloop.com/group/ancientmediabooks

Emily Clifton Stump
    Participant

Gregory – I also recently read Albert Brooks’ 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America. I found it to be scarily predictive – think 1984 – while also more optimistic than many other stories like it. Similar themes about aging, life extension and dealing with the population crisis are explored in the two young adult novels Unwound by Neil Schusterman and The Declaration by Gemma Malley.

On another note, If It Were Easy They’d Call the Whole Damn Thing the Honeymoon by Jenna McCarthy is a laugh out loud reaffirmation of why married women should stop complaining and love their husbands.

I revisit the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon again and again – it’s just that good.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

How to Wreck a Nice Beach, by Dave Tompkins (2010). It is a history of vocoders and speech synthesis from the initial development as speech scrambling devices for secure military communication before and during WWII, up to present use in hip-hop and funk.

You would never have thought that Ray Bradbury, Alexander Solzhinitsyn, FDR, Churchill, Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk, “Colossus: The Forbin Project”, Peter Frampton, Cher, the New Kids on the Block, Roger Trout, and this video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6zkbjOvXWo – were connected, but there you go.

The title comes from the mis-hearing of the artificially-generated phrase “How to recognize speech”. The material is interesting but the style grates. The writer can’t really decide if he wants to be a journalist/technical writer, a slam poet, or Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter’s heir apparent.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

That Brooks book looks intriguing. He’s a cleverer guy than many give him credit for. In our house, we still chuckle over his line in 1979’s mockumentary “Real LIfe” (and talk about pre-saging current trends with that one!), where he tries to persuade the skeptical Charles Grodin that the scholarly paper arising from the documentary he has begrudgingly volunteered for will have impact, because scientists get these journals “in the mail, just like Time Magazine”.

I just finished Isac Aimov’s “Nightfall”, written long back but still looks anew as it reveals why every second millennium human intelligence self-destructs, out of threat perceptions and fear.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.