What are your 3 Words for 2010?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What are your 3 Words for 2010?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Adriel Hampton 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

I read Chris Brogan’s blog every day. I admire many things about Chris, but one of the things that has had the greatest impact on me is the way he sets goals for the year. He comes up with three words that will define his focus for the ensuing 12 months. As someone who has consistently set goals, I need this clarity and simplicity or I can quickly find myself with 20+ goals, corresponding objectives and a series of action steps. That looks pretty on paper, but it can be overwhelming and prevent me from accomplishing my highest value activities.

So enough of the commentary. My three words for 2010:

1. Grow
    2. Engage
    3. Economize

Two of the three happen to correspond to GovLoop’s three guiding words for 2010. I have taken them for my own, and they mean something slightly different when applied more personally. “Grow” is really about continuous improvement and learning – books I hope to read, some fitness-related activities, etc. “Engage” is all about my relationships – taking care of home and bringing even more value to my professional network. “Economize” has to do with money- and time-related decisions – automating processes to achieve maximum benefit.

Well, those are my three words for 2010. What are yours (and how can we help you to achieve your goals)?

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you, Adriel! 2010 is gonna rock!

Adam Arthur
    Participant

1. Improve
    2. Expand
    3. Create

‘Improve’ – much like your ‘Grow’, I want to develop myself into a better man- in areas of marriage, faith, health, friendship and fiscal responsibility. What begins as an ugly and flawed rock can be chipped away, honed, polished, and revealed as a perfected diamond…I want my life to resemble this. Life’s trials and tribulations can make me stronger, if I learn from them.

‘Expand’ – I want to enlarge my reach and influence within the community. God has given me certain talents that I do not want to store away or “…hide in the Earth”. I desire to use what I’ve been blessed with to positively impact others, without expectation of reward. My desire is to move away from any thought of gain and move to selfless giving. This is contrary to human nature, and it will be a true challenge.

‘Create’ – I have notebooks full of ideas and ways of improving this or that. I tend to never act on most of them, for one reason or another. Complacency or fear of failure will not deter me, if I can help it! I am usually known for being a ‘doer’, but I want to take this even further. Without fear or hesitation, I want to put goals into action…begin to develop my good ideas into real operating centers.

These are lofty goals for 2010, but ones I aspire to accomplish. 🙂

On a side note, I want to carve out a little space here to thank you (Andy), Steve, and so many other great people that I have met here on GovLoop for your friendship. Having quality people to learn from and lean on makes life a richer experience for me. I hope only to be a good friend and colleague to you.

Linda W. Odell
    Participant

1. Educate
    2. Love
    3. Smile

I like these, Linda…thank you!

Tricia
    Participant

1. responsive
    2. captivate
    3. unsurpassed

Daniel Bevarly
    Participant

1. Comprehend
    2. Appreciate
    3. Reciprocate

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Healthier – 3x week exercise, cut back on eating out and beer
    Happier – focus on family, set aside not interrupted time
    Grow – how do we make govloop even more awesome and help connect and do more good at a grander level to improve govt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.