What are your Email Rules?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What are your Email Rules?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher Whitaker 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Everybody has email rules they follow. I feel like organizations should institute their own as we spend so much time in email.

Here’s one set of rules from Scott Burns in a post “Why Email Starts Fights”

I have the following rules for my use of email with colleagues, friends, and family:

• Avoid emails when I’m angry
    • Avoid constructive feedback by email
    • Avoid emails in the evening (Google has a new tool called Mail Goggles that forces people to do math problems before sending email in the evening so you don’t email anyone while intoxicated)

What are your email rules?

Don’t send me crap

I don’t care if it’s cute, funny, religious, sweet, or filled with pictures of kittens – if you forward me this crap to my work email I will get grumpy. I get 100+ emails a day, 500 claimants coming through the door, and far more work than I can handle. For the love of all that is Holy, please don’t send me things that are just silly. That’s what facebook’s for.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I used to be completely against 🙂 emoticons. I have no idea why I switched other than sometimes you need to show your kidding or be nice. But I always feel slightly embarassed that I’m using emoticons.

From my 20-something neighbor who fixed my computer the other night: 2 Tips for Keeping Your Email Clean

Tricia
    Participant

If it’s a hot topic for me, I alway write it up at the end of the day, save as a draft, and when I log in fresh the next day, re-read and make any necessary tone-downs. You know, basically sleep on it!

Denise Petet
    Participant

YES. no spam. No chain mails. I’ve put people on my spam filter for doing that.

Never put anything in an e-mail that you don’t want coming back to haunt you, or be forwarded to someone else. An e-mail, especially one sent to a business server never goes away. It can be dragged up off thier backups forever.

Even at work, if your co-worker upstairs wants you to come over and help them with their personal computer…call them. Don’t leave a papertrail.

If you’re broaching a topic that’s easily misunderstood, call them, go to their office. What’s the numbers? 90% of communication is non-written? Tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, all that gets stripped out of an e-mail. I’ve seen more fights start because of something someone typed and e-mailed or posted and it ended up being a misunderstanding because the author didn’t mean it the way the reader took it. (This is where the winkie 😉 and the smilie 🙂 can help if you have a good enough relationship with that person to tease and not have it blow up in your face)

If it’s a touchy subject, scroll up, re-read and re-read it again. Don’t just scan. And consider your word choices.

On the other hand, if you need CYA documentation, it’s great. Kinda hard for someone to say ‘you never told me this’ when you have date stamped e-mail proving that you did. I told ya, ain’t my fault you didn’t read it 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.