What are your thoughts on working in the cloud? (New Federal Cloud Computing Strategy)

Home Forums Technology What are your thoughts on working in the cloud? (New Federal Cloud Computing Strategy)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adriel Hampton 6 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Last week the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy was officially released, and with that many new questions about utilizing cloud services have been raised. We (GovWin) are hosting a free executive webinar tomorrow to discuss the cloud, but beforehand I would like to know what your thoughts are on the new strategy, and what your experience has been like working with cloud services in your agencies.

Has working with the cloud been an improvement on your daily work, or are you finding similar issues to previous clients? (especially in e-mail services)

I have embedded the new Cloud Computing Strategy below as well.

Federal Cloud Computing Strategy

Adriel Hampton
    Participant

Left some comments over on Bob Gourley’s post on Friday.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Thanks for point me to that. I did a search on here, but the results didn’t show that.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Love the guidance and energy coming from CIO office on this.

In the end, I think the transition will take time as the guidance starts hitting the real middle layer of government that makes most of the decision (the Architecture teams, the Security teams, and more)

I think will start with lower-risk software – email is an easy one. Hosted citizen-facing websites are another. SaaS platforms for less mission critical work (see ideation and software like Ideascale or Spigit or Uservoice)

I do think the acceleration is starting and 2011 will see more adoption with 2012 and 2013 really growing.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

Interesting thoughts and I couldn’t agree more. Standards and best practices are often a great starting point for agencies, and for those who support cloud technology now have ammunition to push this change.

I think cloud computing is a great way to overcome some of the issues the States and Federal Agencies have with data requirement and standardized formatting. A vision I foresee is specialized program areas developing software with open source tools stored in a cloud for all States to use and build upon and share much like the projects I have been working on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.