What best private-sector management practices should be applied to the Public Sector to improved government performance?

Home Forums Acquisitions What best private-sector management practices should be applied to the Public Sector to improved government performance?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jennie Henton 8 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

The recent Doing What Works project at the Center for American Progress recommended a government-wide initiative to improve government efficiency, performance, and management. (see What can the government do to increase people’s trust in it? https://www.govloop.com/forum/topics/what-can-the-government-do-to?xg_source=activity) One of there suggestions was applying best private-sector management practices for improved government performance.

What in your opinion are such best practices that could and should be applied in the Public Sector? What best practices may exist at the state and local level that should be considered for fficiency, performance, and management (and lets throw in Open Gov and Social Media if you like)?

Jennie Henton
    Participant

If you want to transform performance, that is not in incremental steps but a jump from one level to another, then you want to look into learning about or uncovering what you have as the truth about the people, commuities, events, yourself and/or organisations around you. We take actions consistant with that which can be good e.g. when a hurricane warning is announced, everyone’s concerns and actions become focused on that expectation. This view however, can also limit our performance. Learning more facts and figures, strategies and tactics will make a difference but not necessarily to a whole new level.

Tom Bullington
    Participant

It would be interesting to see how this question would be answered if flipped – What best public-sector management practices should be applied to the private sector to improve company performance?

From a communications perspective, I think the private sector has much to learn from government and how it communicates with its constituents. As a shareholder of various companies’ stocks, I feel much more out of the loop than I do as a resident of my local community, county and state. While governments can always do a better job keeping their citizens informed, I think the private sector doesn’t do enough to effectively communicate – not only with its shareholders and employees – but with the general public, about what is going on. Too often, the public finds out the real story when a scandal breaks (Enron, etc.)

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

Tom,

I agree with you that the question can be turned around and is interesting to think on gov best practices.

One difference is when you turn the topic around is that there are different goals that practices are aimed at and this engenders different methods to reach these ends.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

– Make it easier to get rid of non-productive people.
    – Eliminate political appointments and replace with merit-based promotions.

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

Jennie,

In earlier discussions people have provided succint ideas with phrases like “Robust Feedback Loops” but I guess I wanted to know more about how this is practiced by a method, process, activity, incentive, or reward that is believed to be more effective at delivering a particular outcome than any other technique, method, process, etc. when applied to a particular condition or circumstance.
    This could be illustrated by a success story.

There is some of this on https://www.govloop.com/group/smarterbetteropengovernment/forum/topics/success-stories-toward-a

Jennie Henton
    Participant

Hi Gary
    A start would be recognising where your performance is limited or where you can’t make the difference you’re committed to. You can maybe change the people around you by providing rewards for example, but it can take a lot of time and effort and you often meet a lot of resistance. You know what it’s like when someone wants to change you. Now, that leaves you. What do you hold to be the truth about what’s happening around you. I got interested in this when I couldn’t make the difference with my manager and my performance reflected this. When I took responsibility for how I saw him and had a conversation with him about that and took full responsibility for my part, my performance took off on a whole new level.

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

Brian Solis is the author of Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web has a list of five best business practices to help peole build, cultivate, and measure success in the new web right now. I;ve conpresses and adapted some of the ideas for Gov use.

These 5 are:

Dedicate the time: Seems applicable to Gov staff who are all very busy and have long r to-do lists. But to get the benefits of social media businesses need to “carve out time for strategic experimentation. In short, you get out of it, what you invest. ”

Conquer your fears: Gov managers, like business owners, probably believe that social media gives people a chance to criticize their operations. Brian agrees with this, but says “avoiding social media doesn’t mean that their opinions will never see the light of day. Your brand is at the mercy of those who take to social media to share their experiences, so you might as well take an active role to contributes to the stature and perception of your brand. You might even learn how to improve your product and service in the process. ”

Listen and research to learn and contribute: Social networking is far more effective when you realize that creating profiles and updating social networks aren’t arbitrary. There’s an art and science to all of this, and the process begins with listening and research.

Step one he suggests is to use the social network to “see what people are saying about you. As you examine the results, you’ll identify the people who are leading conversations and the dialogue that invites and inspires participation.”

Establish an attractive and expansive presence: The ability to showcase your products and services to attract “customers”/the Public and spark conversation is arguably greater on social networking sites than your own website. “Use engagement ….This is your time to engage! ”

Doing so might earn some trust in the hearts and minds of the public.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.