What Cloud Services Do You Use at Home?

Home Forums Technology What Cloud Services Do You Use at Home?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffrey Levy 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Cloud computing is the buzzword in government these days…I always look to see how I’m using things at home to see how they could potentially be applied at work.

So I’m asking:
    What cloud services do you use to manage home life/work that replaced other models?

For example, I tried using Mozy a cloud back-up instead of using an external hard drive

I use Pandora more and more instead of having music on my hard drive…

I use Mint for personal finance instead of Quicken installed on my computer…

You?

Jeffrey Levy
    Participant

First! Heh. I’ve never done that before, so figured I’d see how it feels. 🙂

Anyway, I use gmail, and I’ve recently started using Google docs for some stuff like my racquetball league schedule so I can quickly check from home or work.

To some extent, of course, social media is the cloud. Instead of using dedicated apps like ichat or AIM, I use Twitter to talk with colleagues and Facebook to share w/friends.

I use shutterfly to share photos with family instead of emailing them around.

I’ve never used any of the backup, music, or finance apps.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Good point…almost all social media tools are cloud by nature (all personal emails – gmail/hotmail/yahoo….Twitter/FB/LinkedIn….etc)

I wonder what other good comparisons are b/w consumer and enterprise with cloud.

I think backup software, finance, and music are good examples. Anything else?

I haven’t used Sonos or Rhapsody but a lot use them for Video.

In some ways my DVR is kind of cloud-like…I don’t “own” the recordings in a way that is easy for me to keep.

In many ways, Google Docs is starting to fill this need for me…along with Google Calendar and some of their other tools.

For music, I am starting to find Grooveshark to be a great place to find and collect tunes.

One of the reasons I like Tokbox over Skype is that it does not require a download…

Gary Berg-Cross
    Participant

Well I use Pandora for music too, and like other responses I gmail to store my email, which was the first cloud for many of us and Google docs would be another. On the social mideia side I’m a member of LinkedIn but also a member of the Semantic Community which manages a record of its activities on a Wiki.

Kira Honse
    Participant

I’m starting a weight loss program through work and one of the requirements is to do food and exercise journaling. I haven’t checked out the two sites yet, but they offer to site to do keep the journals. I guess this counts as cloud computing.

One thing I’ll add, for non-computer people like me, many of us don’t know what cloud computing is, so use it without being aware that we are cloud computing.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Good point…Many definitions of cloud computing…generally to me it refers to storing your information and running programs on someone else’s servers and not a program that is installed on your computer or data or information stored on your computer.

What weight loss program are you using? I know one Fit Feud that I’ve heard is good.

Joshua Salmons
    Participant

— Grooveshark (music)

— Google Docs (office stuff)

— Box.net (file sharing)

— Dropbox (LOVE dropbox. Lets me sync files from multiple computers)

Ari Herzog

I’d love to see people answer questions like this WITHOUT mentioning Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.

Ari Herzog

You used to hate Google Docs. What made you change your mind?

Tammie Shipe
    Participant

Do your IT groups restrict access to any of these cloud computing sites? In my experience at my organization, there is very little flexibility with going to external sites.

Kira Honse
    Participant

The sites themselves are not restricted but the computer / internet use policy states that use must be related to work. However, as an attorney responsible for knowing the ins and outs of public records (FOIA for you feds) the biggest issue would be other people in the organization being able to access the records when you win the lottery and move to Tahiti.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Tried Mozy but quit – too much computer processing used, too unreliable.

Love Pandora, but still Love iTunes for picking and choosing exactly what I want to listen to when and wherever I may go….

Looked at Mint.com but don’t trust any entity to have all my info in one place – a hackers dream, I think.

Think (imho) cloud computer can be a good idea, but I personally need more confidence in the providers. I do use online banking, but only with my federal credit union, and I have personal connections there providing me with enough confidence to use those services….

Also think (imho) more companies should extend into the cloud market – it is too difficult and expensive to try and have everybody in every company be an “expert” on everything — this is where cloud service providers could really rule….

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Yes, I think many government contractors would run into trouble meeting security requirements using cloud computing. And yes, we face restrictions like crazy!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.