What Did You Learn From Your Dad?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What Did You Learn From Your Dad?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Amy Phillips 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

So I celebrated my second Father’s Day yesterday as a dad, and was intrigued when I saw this article in which President Obama opens up a bit on the impact of his father:

“The fact that certain– interests that I have in– basketball or jazz music– came from a one-month visit that I had for my father. You know, he gave me my first basketball. And it– it wasn’t until I was in my twenties. And I talked back–You know, no– no wonder I’ve been– that’s part of why I’ve been playing basketball was this whole time.” Was– that was that one signal– of– of something that– he had given me. He took me to a Dave Brubeck concert. And suddenly– you know, shortly thereafter, magically, surprisingly enough, I was interested in jazz.

The influence of our fathers – or father-like figures – is profound and it seems like a great question:

What did you learn from your dad?

Amy Phillips
    Participant

I learned to drive, to listen to the Eagles, that there wasn’t a single problem that couldn’t be solved with hard work, respect for those around you, and, most of all, no matter how far you go – your family is always waiting for you when you come back home.

Carol Davison
    Participant

How to love a woman (my mom), to provide for and protect your children, how to be non judgemental, to be compassionate, to work hard, to rise above adversity, and to give back.

For me, these are the top 5 words that come to mind when I think of my dad:

– Faith

– Hard Work

– Humor

– Commitment

– Humility

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I watched Field of Dreams on TV this weekend, and was sobbing like a baby during the scene where Kevin Costner plays catch with the ghost of his father.

My dad’s long gone, near 30 years now. I used to curse those Saturdays when I was a teenager, and he’d wake me up early and force me to abandon my weekend plans and come to work with him in his struggling machine shop. Somehow, though, watching that film took me back. I could see every detail of that machine shop that I hadn’t thought of in decades. And I would have given anything, right then and there, to spend another Saturday with him inside that dusty, smelly, noisy shop, working together, just the two of us, laughing, sweating, eating lousy sandwiches hastily cobbled together at 8AM, nearly blinding myself by not pulling my arc welding visor down fast enough, and coming home filthy and exhausted.

My dad taught me a bunch of technical things, but he also taught me the pride in physical work and the special pride in being dedicated to something. He also taught me “the vision thing”, and I suspect that part of my capacity for forgiveness comes from him too.

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

My dad taught me to strive to be a successful person, not just a successful girl or woman.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

One word: Family.

Show up 100% of the time, on time, and you will be miles ahead of the masses.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Being there is an over arching term that’s goes a lot further than just showing up for baseball games.

Donna Jo
    Participant

Straighten up and fly right. You don’t want to get off course.

Heather Coleman
    Participant

My dad taught me how to swim, how to drive a stick shift, to be kind, to love animals, to enjoy sports and most importantly how to love.

Alan L. Greenberg
    Participant

My father had a much rougher life than I did. He didn’t say it in so many words but his primarily lesson was not to expect a free lunch. You have to work hard for everything. He certainly did.

Amanda Blount
    Participant

Geez … so much.

My Dad is gone, but he could do anything up to the last few days of his life. He could do anything he set his mind to and he taught us the same thing. He won awards in farming, fishing, carpentry, and welding… and he could not read or write. He believed that you always had options. You should cut grass, build a barn, dig a ditch, shovel a barn, etc before taking a hand out from anyone.

1) Hard work, 2) Make a stand for something – even if you are wrong, 3) no matter how poor you are or how old your clothes are, there is no excuse for a dirty body or dirty clothes 4) There is no excuse for being unemployed – there is always a ditch that needs to be dug, and while you are out digging ditches you are making friends to find a better job. 5) Take pride in everything you do 6) Work for a dollar like your boss is paying you two dollars 7) Do not take loans, you make yourself a slave to the bank 8) He was my first dance partner. He could really dance!

He was a very hard man who made a few enemys, but even his enemys came to his funeral and admitted he was a great man who never backed down and who worked hard all of his life. I look back on it now and I remember wishing my Dad was easier to get a long with. It would have made my life as a child easier, but as a grown-up, I see where “just being one of the crowd” is not for me either. LOL My poor children!!! LOL

You either liked him or you didn’t. But, there was no one who didn’t respect him. 🙂

And he taught me to put peanuts in my coke!!!! 🙂 One of my favorite memories!

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

I think my Dad teaches me something every time we talk. His experiences taught me to work hard, never give up, and strive to serve. He also taught me to treat everyone with respect and grace, no matter who they are or where they come from. Hearing stories of the struggles he went through in life and how he went from having nothing to where he is today inspires me every day.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Two prominent memories:

1. As a kid, I remember moving to a suburb of Chicago – into a one floor ranch house. We didn’t learn until much later that we gave up our lifestyle, downsized, and moved 800 miles because my father refused to allow his integrity to be compromised by the company he worked for. He was one of about 36 marine arbiters in the world – sort of like a judge who settles disputes that happen in international waters. His company tried to pressure him to rule in their favor. He quit. Integrity never did.
    2. Long trips in the car… his hand was always steadily on the steering wheel. That image of his big hand on the wheel is iconic for me. I would fall asleep in the back seat looking at that hand. No idea where we were, what was in front of us, or what hazards he was avoiding. I just knew that we were safe as long as his hand was there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.